[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - David crashes:-( Very frustrating...
Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

David crashes:-( Very frustrating...

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

David crashes:-( Very frustrating...

Postby Dodge1959 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:18 pm

Hi guys…again!;)
After some inconsistent scanning, I finally began to gets very decent results, sometimes with quite ugly lines that look like ripples, but I thought “practice will make perfect”. Generally I´m very happen with the purchase.
But this time….DavidScanner crashes when Saving a group of aligned scans……..very frustrating!
I´m using the complete SLS-1 pack, version 3.9.1, build 4092, 32 bit, , in Windows XP, Service Pack 3. The processor is a Pentium ( R ) D CPU at 3.4 GHz, and there´s 2.00GB RAM .
Its happened quite a number of times since I started scanning, the sequence is usually the following: I make maybe maybe 8 or 10 scans of the object, sometimes more, clean them, save them, and then begin to aligned them. To do this, I make the first 2 scans visible, and align them using the red horseshoe magnet symbol, with both Free Alignment and Contact Pair Selection selected.
I then Combine these two aligned scans into a group, then I make the next scan visible, use the same alignment method, and then Group these (so far I have 3 scans in the group, yeah?).
So I do this with all the scans, and when I finally want to save the Group, before Fusing, David crashes: a window opens, see the attached photo, David closes, and I lose all the work done aligning ; (
Any ideas?
Many thanks and regards..

Frank Norton.

http://www.franknorton.com
Attachments
Scanner shut down.JPG
Dodge1959

Re: David crashes:-( Very frustrating...

Postby WalterMo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:15 pm

Hi Frank,

I think the reason of crashing is due to too less RAM.
Here on this DAVID site they recommend 8GB (for SLS-2):
http://www.david-3d.com/en/products/sls-2

So make a test and reduce the mesh density of each single scan before alignment.

Unfortunately your Windows XP can only handle up to 4GB.

Walter
WalterMo

Postby Ingo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:23 pm

Hi Frank,

as a quick try for a workaround before installing more memory:
why do you not ungroup your alignment result and try saving the single scans?
Saving a group is not recommended anyway.
With your ungrouped scans you can also improve your alignment by applying Global Fine Registration.

For some ideas on alignment strategies just search the forum.
For a beginning have a look at:
and

Your workflow might not be the best way.

Best regards
Ingo
SLS-1
SLS-2
Turntable
Ingo

Postby Dodge1959 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:13 am

Many thanks to Walter and Ingo,

for input on that,

I will try a differant workflow, as for the moment changing computer to get more RAM is not an option ; (.

Again, I really appreciate and marvel at the quick response you guys give to the difficulties people have with this very worthwhile scanner...THANKS!

Frank

Attached a piece (a bust of the painter Goya ) I scanned and milled at 50% scale in 250kgs/m3 poliuretane
Attachments
IMG_9679_Tif.tif
Dodge1959

Postby micr0 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:17 pm

Hi Frank, nice bust.

Did you build your CNC router (mach 3 etc)?

It sounds like you are running out of computer. Have you tried increasing the virtual memory> It's slow I know but it may help you avoid the crashes. I have been using David on my laptop which is a Dell M4500 (workstation) with 8g ram and win7 64 and I still have memory problems. I get much better results by scanning in "quality" mode which produces relatively large scan files. I've been working on some pieces that have resulted in 60+ scans and my laptop starts giving me errors and crashes then I try to fuse. I have learned to delete redundant data in scans (if you have say 3 scans that all have some of the same surfaces in them, pick the best and delete those features in the other two) during cleaning to reduce the scan size. Then use the "reduce mesh density" by right clicking on the scan in the list of scans.

µ
µ
micr0

Postby Dodge1959 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:02 pm

Hiya µ ; )
Yep, router built from scratch, with MACH 3, and Leadshine Easyservos, its X is 4000mm, Y is 2000mm, and Z is 900mm. I need to stiffen the Z axis, as vibration forces me to mill way below the speed its capable of running at. I plan to mill mainly polistirene and poliuretane machinable foam, for comercial sculpture. My main line, steel roadside sculpture, has dried up…damn recession!
Thanks for your input, the idea of erasing redundant parts of scans seems very good. So, you do up to 60 scans!?!?! I though my sometimes 16 was a lot!! Any problems with ripples? It looks well documented on the Forum. Its my next issue to be addressed, after hopefully solving this on.
Does reducing mesh density not give lower detail in scans?
Yes, it looks like Im running out of pc ; (. I´ll be trying Ingo and Walters ideas and questioning my workflow strategy.
Regards!
Frank
http://www.franknorton.com
Attachments
la foto.JPG
la foto.JPG (34.82 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
Dodge1959

Postby dklassen » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:26 pm

Mine seems to crash also. When I have 15 or 20 scans complete and I decide to delete them all by hitting the red x delete button it will crash the first time. After that it seems to be ok.
Acer Aspire V15 laptop w/ 8g ram / Windows 10, Acer K132, DFK 42BUC03, Computar Megapixel 2/3 12mm, David 4.0, V-Slot 1000x20x40 linear rail, Cam and Projector mounts by JDM Dyno.
dklassen

Postby micr0 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:38 pm

µ
micr0

Postby dklassen » Sat May 02, 2015 2:32 am

3 crashes tonight. 2 while deleting scans and 1 during a fuse of a pretty simple object with only about 20 scans. Gezzz!
Acer Aspire V15 laptop w/ 8g ram / Windows 10, Acer K132, DFK 42BUC03, Computar Megapixel 2/3 12mm, David 4.0, V-Slot 1000x20x40 linear rail, Cam and Projector mounts by JDM Dyno.
dklassen

Postby micr0 » Sat May 02, 2015 3:08 pm

µ
micr0

Postby dklassen » Sat May 02, 2015 6:13 pm

Do the folks at David read these posts? It's pretty pricy software to be having these problems. I understand a bug here and there but crashing just for deleting scans? I did send an email to them.
dklassen

Postby dklassen » Thu May 07, 2015 2:16 pm

Remember the thing where you tell your doctor it hurts when I do that and he says then don't do that? Got a response from the David programmer. If deleting scans with the red x causes it to crash then don't use the red x, delete them one at a time. He did tell me to turn on debug to see if that gives more information.
dklassen

Return to Structured Light Scanning