Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

360 degree rapid SLS scan, theory.

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

360 degree rapid SLS scan, theory.

Postby don.key » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:56 pm

Hi,

First off: I do not David 3D setup yet and thus have no practical experience with it, but I need 3D Scanner and plan to get STS-2 as a starting point soon.

What I am really looking for is full body 3D Scanner. After reading quite a lot on forum I understood that:

* Full body scan should be as fast as possible
* Ideally this should be done by multiple cameras / projectors, from multiple angles
* David supports only one camera / projector combination at the moment

So basically, in theory there are only three ways to accomplish such scan with david:

a) Webcam Multiplexer: introduce fake USB 'webcam' to david using embedded computer that would allow seamless switching of video feeds from different cams attached to it and thus allow multiple scan from all perspectives. Obviously projectors will also require switching or blocking.

b) Use bunch of embedded machines that fire up scan in rapid sequence and record it on videos. Then import videos in David and analyze them.

c) Use multiple computers with multiple david instances on each of them.

I understand that basic requirement for any of those approaches would be well calibrated combinations of cameras and projectors, but let's assume we have that in place, which way would be more realistic and stable?

Multiplexer would be more or less tough pioneer work since very little code exists in this area, long project. Many many possible issues.

Video capture via embedded machines sounds much more realistic from technical perspective but would it work? For example: Can same pattern video be played from all directions or is it individual for each calibration?

Multiple David licenses is surely most secure method but it can quickly get unhandy if we are talking about 12 or more cameras

Don
don.key

Return to Structured Light Scanning