[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - Projector/Camera advice
Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Projector/Camera advice

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

Projector/Camera advice

Postby jjones » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:02 pm

I have a specialized SLS setup in mind where objects are stationary and the projector/camera swivel around objects on a circular bearing. Objects are between 3"-6" in diameter. The camera/projector would be adjustable 9"-18" from the axis of rotation. For projector choice, I believe I need a short throw, ruling out the recommended Acer K132. The K132 minimum throw says 3.2'. Looking at these ones:

Optoma Pico PK320 http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-PK320.htm
Brightness: 100 Lumens
Contrast(Full On/Off): 1,000:1
Native Resolution: 854x480
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (WVGA)
Video Modes: 720p, 1080i, 480p, 480i
Data Modes: MAX 1280x800
The minimum throw distance is 12" and the image diagonal is 7" at that distance.

Or

AAXA P450 http://www.projectorcentral.com/AAXA-P450.htm
Brightness: 450 Lumens
Contrast(Full On/Off): 2,000:1
Native Resolution: 1280x800
Aspect Ratio: 16:10 (WXGA)
Video Modes: 720p, 1080i
Data Modes: MAX 1920x1080
The minimum throw distance is 12" and the image diagonal is 10" at that distance.

I think the AAXA might be a better choice...it's closer in lumens and native resolution to the K132 except for contrast ratio. 1:10000 is hard to beat.

Is my reasoning correct about the need for a short throw? Seems like being able to focus on something 12" away is good, no?

As far as the camera goes I noticed in the SLS manual it says "Webcams usually have a wider viewing angle and need to be set up at shorter distances." So could I get away with a stock Logitech C615?

Thanks much!
jjones

Re: Projector/Camera advice

Postby BoneIndustries » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:48 pm

You said that you need a short throw for the projector, but the projectors you listed have larger throws then the Acer K132. With an object with 3" radius and scanner 9" from center, that's a 6 inch throw. Did I miss something? Why can't you use the Acer K132?
BoneIndustries

Postby jjones » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:08 pm

Thanks BoneIndustries for the reply! I guess I'm misunderstanding the data as it's presented at ProjectorCentral.

Optoma PK320
Throw Dist (feet): 1.0 - 19.5

AAXA P450
Throw Dist (feet): 1.0 - 13.8

Acer P132
Throw Dist (feet): 3.2 - 8.5

I take this to mean that the Acer would only let me focus on something greater than or equal to 3.2' feet away. Am I mistaken? If that's not the case and I could use the K132 for a 6" throw that would be great!
jjones

Postby BoneIndustries » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:26 pm

jjones,

I misread what you had wrote. I mistook feet for inches reading through your post.

The K132 projector that came with my kit has a modified lens that can within a few inches of what I'm scanning. That's why I was thinking in inches. DAVID did the mod to the projector, so I suggest checking with them on specs.

I would say that I can get within a 6 inches easily for scanning.
BoneIndustries

Postby brackinz » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:03 pm

The K132 can get closer than that by default, my guess is around 18 inches or so, and there's an easy mod that you can do to get even closer.

There's a screw on the lens of the K132 that controls where it stops when you adjust focus, by removing the screw you can turn it a little bit further to get the projector even closer or further away.
If you're interested in doing that mod, the K132 isn't simple to open. Besides the screws on the bottom there's some clips that hold the case on, one on the left side and one on the front, and then one on the back. I used a pair of tweezers through the vents to push back the clips and was able to open it up. After that, there's the tab on the lens that's used to adjust the focus, you can remove the tab and underneath is the screw that limits the focus.
brackinz

Postby BoneIndustries » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:52 pm

BoneIndustries

Postby brackinz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:25 pm

If they are able to get it to where you can get as close as 6 inches, then they're doing more than just removing that screw, they might be switching out the lens, or adding a spacer or something. I was going to see if there was more that could be done to it, but to remove the lens there's some screws that are hard to get to without taking some other parts off first and I didn't want to go that far. I took some pictures from when I opened it up and I'll post those when I get home.
brackinz

Postby jjones » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:55 pm

Good question BoneIndustries! Brackinz, that is cool! Thanks for explaining that! Do you mind if I ask, how close can you get with the screw mod?
jjones

Postby brackinz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:40 am

With this change, the projector can get about 8 inches to the surface, I've attached some pictures to show
projector_imagesize.jpg

To open the projector, remove the screws from the bottom and then there's 3 tabs, one on the left side, one on the front, and one on the back. The front and side ones are the easiest to open, you have to get some kind of angled object and put it through the vents and use it to push back the tabs. The back one is a little bit more difficult to do.
tab_front.jpg

There's also a ribbon that attaches to the top of the casing for all the buttons there, it has a couple of snaps on the sides of the ribbon connector and it's easy to remove

After that, there's the lens, remove the focus adjust tab thing, and underneath that you can see the screw that controls the limits of the focus, just remove that. After that you can put it all back together (except for the focus tab thing) and then you can use something to turn the focus and it works really well.
lens.jpg

There you can see where the screw was. Without it, the lens can rotate further both directions about the distance of the width of the screw that was there.
brackinz

Postby brackinz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:41 am

Here's some other photos:

Side tab
tab_side.jpg

Back tab
tab_back.jpg

Inside of the back tab along with the detached ribbon
tab_inside.jpg
brackinz

Postby BoneIndustries » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:58 pm

Awesome projector hack. Keep up the good work.
BoneIndustries

Postby jjones » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:40 pm

I second that! Thanks so much for documenting this. 8" pretty darn good!
jjones

Postby brackinz » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:00 pm

And if you're doing something 6" diameter then it's even too close
brackinz

Postby dklassen » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:09 am

Is this the only mod that David does or do they replace optics as well, does anyone know?
Acer Aspire V15 laptop w/ 8g ram / Windows 10, Acer K132, DFK 42BUC03, Computar Megapixel 2/3 12mm, David 4.0, V-Slot 1000x20x40 linear rail, Cam and Projector mounts by JDM Dyno.
dklassen

Return to Structured Light Scanning