Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Camera Stops Working

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

Camera Stops Working

Postby BoneIndustries » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:49 am

SLS-1 kit with DAVID CAM 3 M

I installed the last two versions of the DAVID software updates and I've started having problems with my camera. When operating, I should see 25fps in the bottom right hand corner. But with doing another and not touching any wires, it will stop working and show 0fps. If I go back to the hardware tab and re-select the camera, it starts working again. I may go through an entire scanning project before it stops working, or every other scan. I've had it stop working in the middle of a scan, freeze the software and I loose all the scans that I just captured. I've been trying to deal with this problem, but it's start to become to much of a hassle.

I have paying jobs that are now on hold because I can't rely on the camera working. Can someone please help me?
BoneIndustries

Re: Camera Stops Working

Postby hal » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:11 am

Hello,
please contact the David support team if your David camera don't work.
Did you tried the same camera on and other computer? Maybe a problem of the usb port or with drivers...

Mattia
hal

Postby MagWeb » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:38 pm

unfortunately there's holiday season now... a Re of the support team may last a while.

Did you try to remove the driver completly (via DeviceManager also deleting the driver software) and to install it once again?
MagWeb

Postby BoneIndustries » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:43 pm

I only have one computer, so another computer is not an option. I have not tried removing the driver. As far I know everything is on the USB drive and I don't want to start messing with, possibly causing other issues.
BoneIndustries

Postby MagWeb » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:15 pm

Well, I'm not sure if a fresh driver installation will help...

But this wouldn't involve your USB stick.
If you install a driver WINDOWS copies the needed files to its system directories. This process might be faulty for some reasons.
If you uninstall a driver AND delete the files within the WINDOWS directories (via WINDOWS DeviceManager) you make sure that a new installation is a completely fresh one.
(If you 're not sure about this process I'd guide you through)

Other things you could try:
Don't use extension/pretty long cables or USB hubs. Some cables or hubs disturb the data flow.
Unplug not needed devices (printers, 2D scanners or other toys) using USB - is it better that way? Maybe the USB controller is working to hard.
Whats about your GPU driver version? Update your graphic card to the latest driver version.

Maybe some DAVID settings are set wrong? To get a default DAVID remove UserSettings.xml from the Settings directory (maybe you rename it or move it to some different directory - don't delete it, just to have the option to restore your current settings). DAVID will create a fresh one.
MagWeb

Postby BoneIndustries » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:40 pm

I'm using the cables that came with the kit. I have an USB mouse and USB thumb drive just for files, it's not running anything. My thought there a dirty or loose connection where the USB cable plugs into the camera. Because sometimes the camera does stop working when I am adjusting it for calibration.

I'll look into the drivers later.
BoneIndustries

Postby Markus » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:47 am

Hi!

I think it is a hardware related problem. If possible: Please try a different USB cable. Have you tried all USB ports on your machine?
Markus
DAVID Developer

Postby BoneIndustries » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:48 pm

Markus,
I have not tried another USB port, but I have the cable supported with a wire tie to the tripod keeping upward pressure on the connection on the camera. I've using it the scanner like this with no problems so far.

I do see screw holes for securing a USB cable to the back of the cable. Since a mini USB port is being used, I think it needs some extra support when moving the scanner around an object or making adjustments to the viewing area. Plus it look more professional when in front of customers.
UH2-2MB2412-I1_large.jpg

I probably prefer a larger single attachment like this thou.
Waterproof-Mini-USB-Cable-Assembly.jpg
Waterproof-Mini-USB-Cable-Assembly.jpg (16 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
BoneIndustries

Postby Markus » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:05 pm

BoneIndustries wrote:Markus,
I have not tried another USB port, but I have the cable supported with a wire tie to the tripod keeping upward pressure on the connection on the camera. I've using it the scanner like this with no problems so far.

I do see screw holes for securing a USB cable to the back of the cable. Since a mini USB port is being used, I think it needs some extra support when moving the scanner around an object or making adjustments to the viewing area. Plus it look more professional when in front of customers.

Good to hear that you solved your problem.Thanks for the information, I will give it to our hardware team.
Markus
DAVID Developer

Postby milz » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:11 pm

heho

i said the same to Sven for few days. the cables are kindergarten style -)
i knew the problem from my old 1024er CCD Cam. same prob there
but no screwholes. so what to say HOT GLUE is your friend -)

mfg milz
Xeon x5650@4ghz
Cam : USB2 CCD 1024x768 / USB3 1280x900
Laser : LC532-5-3-F(16x65) Focusable Green
Projector Acer X110P / Acer K132
dControl one David control box + Turntable + automatic texture lights
mooooom bathroom!!!!!!
milz

Return to Structured Light Scanning