Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Looking to upgrade Camera

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

Re: Looking to upgrade Camera

Postby JDM Dyno » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:14 pm

Hi prtaick

I can do you one like mine if you like, I have 3D printer to make the parts
DSC_00472.jpg

you will need a lens if you have not got one, I was lucky and got a Computar 12mm lens for £17 on ebay :) normal price is around £160.
and a Logitech C615 about £60 or I can work out an all in cost for you
Camera's: 2 x DFK 42BUC03 Duel Camera,
c615 modified with Computar megapixel lens
lenses: 2 x Pentax 12mm, 2 x Computar 8mm
Optoma ML300 Projector
Turntable

www.jdm-dyno.co.uk
JDM Dyno

Postby prtaick » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:30 am

JDM Dyno wrote:Hi prtaick

I can do you one like mine if you like, I have 3D printer to make the parts
DSC_00472.jpg

you will need a lens if you have not got one, I was lucky and got a Computar 12mm lens for £17 on ebay :) normal price is around £160.
and a Logitech C615 about £60 or I can work out an all in cost for you

PM'd.

Thank you.
prtaick

Postby MayCrown » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:55 am

I like happy endings. :mrgreen:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/MayCrown
MayCrown

Postby prtaick » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:58 pm

Thanks to JDM Dyno.

I played around with the part that JDM Dyno sent me, but actually ended up buying an ebay camera and giving it a shot ( www.ebay.com/itm/221432152744 ).
That and a good lens is working out well for me.

I'll try to post up some scan images soon.

Thanks to everyone
prtaick

Postby Toffer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:36 pm

Does the Camera have the direct show driver?
Clevo laptop with 16mb ram
Intel Core i7
Nvidia GeForce GTX770M

Acer K11 and Logitec Pro9000
Ostec MC500 Microcope camera and Computar M1214-MP2 lens
Toffer

Postby Toffer » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:15 am

I like it when I can answer my own question :D Yes it has DirectShow drivers.
I purchased the camera like prtaick and the computar lens. The camera came up as "Microscope" in David. At first I thought that I bought the wrong lens because my focal range was 5cm to 13cm. I panicked a little :x
Then I concluded that the lens was mounted too deep inside the camera body. I looked inside the body and saw that there were spacers between the sensor and the housing, so I took the camera apart and removed the spacer. After reassembly, to my dismay :oops: I realized now my focal range was about 5 meters to infinity!
After a few more panics, I noticed that the c-mount adaptor ring was protruding from the housing. So I disassembled the camera again, put the spacers back and reassembled. Then I undid the 2 set screws on the adapter ring, screwed it in flush to the housing, and to my great joy I had the proper setup.

So my advice to whoever buys this camera: check the position of the c-mount adaptor ring. If you want to scan large objects, make the adaptor ring flush to the camera housing. If you want to scan tiny things, then move the ring out some until you get the focal range you like. Just don't tighten the set screws too tight...it will damage the threads on the ring.

I have yet to calibrate with the camera and scan something. I just wanted to try the camera to evaluate large scanning (I just had the webcam before). I paid only $160 total on ebay and amazon (USA). If I can get the setup rigged and can prove it on a large scan, then I will get the good David cam. Until then I'll conduct my testing with the Microscope cam.

Also, the only way I could get a live image on the screen in David was; after choosing "Microscope" in the camera options, I clicked the little icon on the right (camera format), underneath the camera options bar. Then I got the live feed.
Clevo laptop with 16mb ram
Intel Core i7
Nvidia GeForce GTX770M

Acer K11 and Logitec Pro9000
Ostec MC500 Microcope camera and Computar M1214-MP2 lens
Toffer

Previous

Return to Structured Light Scanning