Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Differences with other SLS systems ?

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

Differences with other SLS systems ?

Postby pgibouin » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi !

I have just checked the prices from competitor LMI with their HDI Advance scanner system (exactly the same technology than DAVID SLS 2). The products are quoted from 11 430 euros without VAT for the simplest monochrome 3D scanner to more than 15 698 euros without VAT for the most complete color 3D scanner. The only difference I can see is this system use 2 cameras instead of one into the DAVID system but the scan results are the same and have the same quality beetween DAVID and LMI.

Why such a difference price beetween DAVID and LMI ? I don't think a second camera cost more than 9 000 euros... I really don't understand.

Best,

Pierre
pgibouin

Re: Differences with other SLS systems ?

Postby MayCrown » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:08 pm

the difference is decent people, not money thirsty.

And, of course, one more cam differs, because it's the expensive thing in the package, but not that much (David Cam is 990 €)
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/MayCrown
MayCrown

Postby hal » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:14 pm

Hello,
take in mind that kinds of scanners are calibrated in the laboratories and have an ohter performance then David.

David can also achieve same quality, but need different hardware and calibrations. David is more flexible, the other pro- machines aren't flexible but more easy to use and certificate in their results: no "human" factor (the customers) between scanner and the final result.

Mattia
hal

Postby milz » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:10 am

heho
the developer / producer of expensive system needs warm clothing -)
there came some low cost high resolution deep sensor in the near futher or
be availbile right now like the kinect2.
Some scanner producer have there own software for kinect1.
im not 100% sure the will be updated it for kinect2 cause the 200Eur
hardware of the kinect has the same or higher resolution with a deeper
field and a larger fov then there 15k machines -)

3d scanning will be change in the near future like "anyone can scan everythink everywhere
everytime".

mfg milz
Xeon x5650@4ghz
Cam : USB2 CCD 1024x768 / USB3 1280x900
Laser : LC532-5-3-F(16x65) Focusable Green
Projector Acer X110P / Acer K132
dControl one David control box + Turntable + automatic texture lights
mooooom bathroom!!!!!!
milz

Postby pgibouin » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:38 pm

Thanks for your reply, I agree other structured light system may be better for labs or industrial companies having more money to invest in the technologiy and who can not offer to spend long time to learn to use the system...

Just a question, there is no patent on structured light systems ? Who had the first idea ? Why not those system beeing protected by intellectual property (except for the softwares) ?
pgibouin

Return to Structured Light Scanning