[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - DSLR lens
Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

DSLR lens

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

DSLR lens

Postby bookfiend » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:18 pm

I'm starting a custom SL setup. I'm trying to buy a cheap Canon SL1 that comes with a kit lens. Usually it's an IS STM 18-55mm lens. Will the image it takes be flat? And does a macro lens help?
bookfiend

Re: DSLR lens

Postby bookfiend » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:38 am

i've just been persuaded to spend more money to get a nikon d3300, so I'll be lurking on ebay until I find one cheap enough. But is that dslr even compatible with David software?

And to clarify my last post, I've never used cameras before so I'm unsure about some things. I've been told that fish eye will ruin scans, so I'm asking if there is a particular choice of lens that I must use to get good scans.

But first I need to know if the Nikon will even be compatible.
bookfiend

Postby NARMELLA » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:47 am

Hi

It seems david works by using digital video streams (DIRECT SHOW METHOD);

It doesn't matter what kind of cameras you want to use ; just make digital video stream available for david.

Canon eos series have not any problem to use by david 32 bit ; but for other kind of dslr cameras that have live view capability like canon powershot series , You have to use some programs
for example extrawebcam software to make camera live video stream available for david.

link to

But which lenses would be good to use :

EFS 18 - 55 mm is a good choice for focusing on to david working range

For micro scanning use EFS 55 - 250 lense + some close up lenses for micro scanning

NARMELLA
Data projector : NEC VE 281
Camera(s) : Canon eos 600D (3x)
Software : Lets scan 2.5 + David laser scanner 3.9
گشتاور صنعت تبریز
NARMELLA

Postby testae » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:42 am

I use a Canon 60D with IS2 18-55mm and the results are perfectly fine. No distortion at all. This lens works like a breeze for medium sized objects. As Narmella mentioned you have to use the 32bit version of David though.
@ Narmella: I just checked your link and to me it appears that the software only works with Canon cameras. Are you experienced in using it with other cams or did anybody else use DSLRs other than Canon for scanning already?
testae

Postby Curiousjeff » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:34 am

I tested a Nikon D5200 with the Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k HDMI capture card.

The video stream is 1920x1080p@30 progressive through HDMI (i don't know what it would be through USB and if it is possible with David? ) .

This is captured directly by David as a webcam.

Very happy with the results.
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Return to Structured Light Scanning