Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

e-con systems usb 3.0 monochrome camera

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

e-con systems usb 3.0 monochrome camera

Postby nt4boy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:22 pm

Device is their see3CAM_10CUG Global Shutter device married to 6-60mm manual Iris lens.
Runs at 45 fps. Tried exposure at 1/64s. Using Acer K11 Projector.

Question is why are there the three horizontal bands at intervals down the model. These are not ridges on the metal.
Attachments
2014-06-02_22-02-06.png
Fusion at 700
nt4boy

Re: e-con systems usb 3.0 monochrome camera

Postby MagWeb » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:10 am

Most likely those stripes are caused by the interference of the cam's frames/sec and the projector's refresh rate.

I own the BW model of this cam too. Unfortunately its very poor driver possibilities (basic DirectShow) do not allow to synchronize cam and projector perfectly. Therefor grabbing a projection with a given frequency shows some noteable change of overall brightness. DAVID relies on stable brightness conditions and interpretes differences in the images with slightly different depths which causes the stripes.

The only thing you can do is to try other refresh rates of the second monitor via GPU.

Currently the see3CAM does a nice job using laserscanning but fails at SL.
MagWeb

Postby nt4boy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:31 pm

Yes, that makes sense as the image does flicker and the calibration sine waves are a bit wooly and move around a lot.
I guess I'm going to mount the device in a proper housing to register it better in relation to the projector's world and then play with the projectors settings as you suggest and see how far I can improve it.
It took me a while to actually get an image into David, but I'd not used the camera format button before, and you need to select 1280x960 and YUY2.
It uses the Windows default driver, and I don't know if the extra options we'd really need are part of the firmware that the driver would display if it was available, or if in fact a bespoke driver is what is needed. Anyway I've sent a message to the manufacturer in the hope that they'll perhaps provide something in due course that makes it more useful to Structured Light scanners.
nt4boy

Postby MagWeb » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:57 am

Did you get any RE from e-con?
MagWeb

Postby nt4boy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:19 pm

Coincidently yes.

I give their support guys top marks for doing their best. They even downloaded David to see what I was actually looking at.
So, in fact it will work quite well with the K11 60Htz projector, but taken some while to find a really simple solution.
At first I was sure the local mains frequency or the projector frequency was the issue as the big problem was interference bands and flickering of the image. Tried other projectors with up to 85Hz refresh rate, but finally the support guys pointed out that the camera needs setting within the driver, ie using camera properties rather than relying on the main sliders which do something a little different. So, this is what I did.
1 In hardware setup, Choose e-con Video Source.
2 In Camera Format, select, Y2YU and one of the resolutions. Should now get a picture.
3 In Camera Properties, choose -7 shutter speed (equals 1/128) and 1 for brightness. Picture may now be black, so open manual aperture on lens.
With my camera, the flicker pretty much went away, and the system calibrated instantly, which it wouldn't do almost at all while the image was flickering. Anyway, after scanning the same rod, the bands I highlighted above are gone.
So, it looks very promising now.
nt4boy

Return to Structured Light Scanning