Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

What is possible with this equipment?

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

What is possible with this equipment?

Postby Lunat1c » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:54 am

Computer: acer3820 tg, intel core i5-460m processor 2.53 ghz, 3mb l3 cache, ati mobility radeon hd 5650 up to 2170 mb hypermemory, 3gb ddr3 ram.
Projector: mitsubishi xd206u, 1024x768, 2000:1 contrast ratio, 2000 lumens
Camera: logitech webcam c170

What detail can be achieved with these instruments? Can you post a sample image to give idea?
I'm asking this question because I want to know the borders, so that I won't try to go beyond all in vain...you might find it rather silly, but I don't want to be disappointed, I would feel comfortable if I know I'm getting the most out of my humble equipment. Later when I get money, I can achieve more. Otherwise if I don't know the maximum achievable image with the tools I have, I may try and fail to get the image I have in my mind and may feel that I can't simply do this scanning job.
Mitsubishi xd 206u, logitech pro9000, acer 3820tg
Lunat1c

Re: What is possible with this equipment?

Postby WalterMo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:28 am

The Logitech C170 is the weak point of all your hardware. Its resolution is only 640x480 pixels (for video). Better would be a minimal resolution of 800x600. But of course you can start with this cam.

What is possible with this equipment? Difficult to say. Have a look to our User Gallery and also to this SL Gallery:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3060

Sometimes the used resolution is mentioned there. But don't forget, rather old results of DAVID's SL beginning are presented on this thread. A lot has happened in the meantime. :D

You have all what you need for SL scanning. So download the free DAVID software and see what's possible. With this free version you can do everything, but not save something.
WalterMo

Postby Lunat1c » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:59 am

thank you so much WalterMo.
I immediately gave back C170 to where I had bought and giving only 4 Euros more I've got C270, which has native resolution of 1280x720 and is successfully recognized by David.

I also ordered a second hand Mitsubishi XD206U, the only projector I could afford nowadays. It seems I will never be able to put it on a tripod, cos it's 2.9 kg. I find your comment about the LED pico projectors and I adore them, but they're expensive for me.

Last night I did some scans with Panasonic PT-LC50E and Logitech C270. I didn't have a precise calibration board, I had to make do with the one I made from a binder. It starts at 90 degree but folds and fluctuates towards the edges. The calibration paper isn't self adhesive and loosely sticked to the board. I'm thinking to replace it with an aluminum plate, I know how important it is.

I use a manual turntable which I made from a rotating pencil tray. I don't have a tripod, so I put the webcam and the projector on books. I put a matt blanket under all of them.

What is(are) your(s) opinion about my first scans? I'm having a grid and sometimes it's hard to align the scans. Not this one, but I'll post later. What causes the grid?
Attachments
calibration.jpg
And this is my calibration:
calibration2.jpg
distortion can be seen easily
side1.jpg
the first shooting
Lunat1c

Postby Lunat1c » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:08 am

the details rather vanishes when fused why? Because of the fusion resolution set at 500?

I'm using default DAVID settings.. Can you give advance setting tips?
Attachments
the earthermo.jpg
the earthermo2.jpg
earthermo-fused2.jpg
Lunat1c

Postby Lunat1c » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:13 am

And look at the lame Textured version, what should I do to make it real?

In general what should I do to improve?
Attachments
earthermo-fused1.jpg
earthermo-colored.jpg
lousy texture grabbing
WTE220.jpg
and the thing
Lunat1c

Postby Lunat1c » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:21 pm

Guys can you please review my scans and give suggestions for improvement? I'm new to 3d scanning.

How can I get rid of the grid and make the scans watertight?

How can I keep the details of the scans after fusion?

How should I used the advanced settings?
Lunat1c

Postby Alyx » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:47 pm

for me your scans are completely fine, even more than fine, but texture needs less light, with your projector on 0 brrightness and use other source of light to have your model without any shadows in live view.
Acer i7 3610qm GF GT650M 2gb 16gb ram
Alyx

Postby Lunat1c » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:59 pm

Thank you Alyx I appreciate your comment and I will apply your suggestions..

Hey the other guys.. Are you sleepin' or what?

You know everything about scanning, I need your guidance... Don't be lazy to use your keyboard pls.
Lunat1c

Postby Lunat1c » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:50 am

Lunat1c wrote:Guys can you please review my scans and give suggestions for improvement? I'm new to 3d scanning.

How can I get rid of the grid and make the scans watertight?

How can I keep the details of the scans after fusion?

How should I used the advanced settings?

No reviews? :(
Lunat1c

Postby cnc Dave » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi,

Well the fused scan losing detail is due to the noise in the scan and the noise in the scan is where the black art of scanning comes in... ie using your own equipment will mean you coming up with your own adjustments for it.

Playing about with different angles of cam and projector can change the results. Play around with smoothing settings to get a smoother scan too. Decimating the scan before fusion can improve fusion result. Can your projector focus well at the short distance and still get the pattern within the calibration pattern?

I use a big powerfull projector like yours for scanning cars from a couple of metres away. If I was going to scan your castle I would use a pocket projector.

The grid you get can be a hard one to track down. I removed the colour wheel from my projector with improved results.. My thinking is that the frequency of the projector and frame rate of the camera can create noise, but playing with all settings (fps) and angles of P and C and you might just find a sweet spot.

Your only a skip and a jump away from better scans, you're doing well.

Regards Dave
cnc Dave

Postby Goose » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:55 pm

Hi, Dave!
I would like to know how you were able to work without the color wheel? Because the projector requires a signal from the sensor to sync with the color wheel? I now have a projector to experiment and also want to get rid of the color wheel.

best regards

Goose
Goose

Return to Structured Light Scanning