[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - Use of Image Grabber
Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Use of Image Grabber

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

Use of Image Grabber

Postby Athena » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:04 pm

Hello-

I am trying to use a camera & projector with a hardware trigger line to acquire SL images faster than what seems possible through the usual HDMI/USB connection. Use of the Image Grabber has been discussed on the forum but details are rather sparse in both manual and forum. Would someone be willing to give a brief but more complete overview of the process?

If someone knows a way to use a hardware-trigger linked camera & projector directly through David please let me know.

Thanks,
Athena
Athena

Re: Use of Image Grabber

Postby MagWeb » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:14 pm

Last time I tried this way the Grabber's calibration was broken.

See: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5520&start=15#p26034

Don´t know if it's fixed in the current vesrsion.

It should work that way:
Choose ImageGrabber instead of a cam;
Hitting "CamSettings" opens a OpenFile dialog instead of the cam driver.
By MultiSelection open a set of images. These will become a slide show in DAVID. Images have to be named in the right order and their number has to fit to the SL projection settings.

This worked in 3.5 and below:
There you had to select a single image of the bright corner to do a "cam" calibration.
then to do the projector's calibration a set of projections on the calibration corner,
finally you could scan with a loaded set of projections on the object.

As Sven said:
"It seems nobody has been using the ImageGrabber for some time..."

COM dialog sending messages for each pattern to Arduino + relay (switching a cable remote), downstream via EyeFi was what I used.
MagWeb

Postby Athena » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:08 am

Thanks for the reply. It does indeed seem few people ask about this potentially very useful feature. In David, I loaded a set of SL images as you describe. These images were created outside of David using a camera triggered by a projector. The slide show is displayed in David as you describe - it just keeps cycling through the images in the display. However,I do not understand the process you describe for calibration or projecting a loaded set of patterns. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding but this sounds like a method that may bypasses the usual calibration but still does a standard realtime project and capture scan subject to the same HDMI timing limitations.

What I would like is for David to process (find depth map) a sequence of loaded SL files based on an existing calibration. In this case, David does not project SL images on the object but instead simply processes the SL images acquired previously with other software. It doesn't appear that David stores the SL files on disk for processing when a scan is performed - do you know if this is true? If it is possible to get David to process previously stored SL images, what do I do in David to command the software to process the loaded files?

Best,
Athena
Athena

Postby Sven » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:05 am

Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Athena » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:39 pm

Hello Sven-

Thanks for the very useful information! We were able to do most everything following your instructions. There are a few complications:

1. It seems after restarting David always needs to be manually set into Image Grabber mode followed by manually loading some files (even though the files are then reloaded after clicking the scan start button). Is there any way to configure David to start in Image Grabber mode and not ask to load files (or supply default names)?

2. The texture file previously acquired and stored with SL images seems to be over-written upon starting scan in the Image Grabber mode. Whatever texture.bmp was is over-written with first SL image loaded (e.g. Image 001.bmp). Any way to load the texture file and avoid over-writing?

Many thanks,

Athena
Athena

Postby Sven » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:59 am

Hello Athena,

1. No, that's not possible. Please wait for the SDK.

2. Are you sure? I can't reproduce that.
Of course your ImageGrabber should not read the images from the SL-TestSequence folder, there DAVID will write/overwrite EVERY time. You should copy the SL-TestSequence files which you want to keep into another folder so DAVID can't overwrite them.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Athena » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:58 pm

Hello Sven-

1. Ok, waiting. Just to confirm: currently each new scan in image grabber mode requires manually loading a sequence of files. It won't default to reading the files from a specific directory?

2. When using a second directory as suggested there is no over-writing of the texture file. Thought perhaps David defaulted to reading from SL-TestSequence so one didn't need to set the Imagger Grabber mode again and manually load files.

3. Will the SDK have function calls to set Image Grabber mode and to load a sequence of files? We do not want to operate through the GUI at all.

4. Since the license file is local, is it possible to not automatically check for an update to David each time David is started? We've been having David hang on startup right after this line appears in the command window when the network connection is bad.

5. I know people keep asking you this but any idea when a beta version of the SDK will be available for testing? :)

Best,
Athena
Athena

Postby Sven » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:05 am

Hello Athena,

1. Yes.

2. Yes. The "SL-TestSequence" is meant only for testing, to preserve images from a real camera, for later use with the ImageGrabber. DAVID will overwrite into that folder EVERY TIME (if it exists). If you want to preserve a sequence, copy it to a different location immediately after the scan. You should not use it directly for the ImageGrabber.

3. Probably. Definitely you won't have to operate the DAVID GUI.

4. Yes. Go to Advanced Settings -> Service and disable AutoUpdate.

5. For SDK beta testing, please send me an e-mail describing roughly what you want to do with the SDK.

Thanks
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby DrDucati » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:13 pm

Hi Sven:

Like Athena, I am trying to scan quickly. This will be a very important feature! :D

I followed your HOWTO very carefully. Unfortunately, I am not able to calibrate. :(

I am using a DSLR that records at 1080p60 and 720p30. My projector is 1024x786 with pattern images displayed at 10 fps (1080p) or 15 fps (720p). Each of the captured pattern sequence images is good. Does David 3.8.1 work with Image Grabber calibration or am I doing something wrong?

Below are screen shots of "Image Grabber" showing the calib_image, the setup image and one of the SL pattern images. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Cheers,
Wayne

image_grabber.png

setup.png

image-11.png
DrDucati

Postby DrDucati » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:04 am

Oops. I meant 1080p30 and 720p60.

I tried scaling and cropping the 1920x1080 captured pattern images to 1024x786 (like my USB camera that works great live) but that didn't work either.

The error message says: Projector calibration failed. Could not find a valid mapping between measured points and model parameters.

Is it me or David 3.8.1? Help! Please!

Thanks,
Wayne
DrDucati

Postby BjoernReinke » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Hi DrDucati,

I am also back online after a winter/spring break! :-)

Your setup reminds me of what I also tried to do, please share more detailed setup. We seem to be interested in the same process, perhaps we can start sharing workslows. I will do that soon via Youtube and detailed instructions. I started by using 2 Playsports, see old post here:

Sven and team, you are still geniuses!

However, I am having the same issue, and despite renaming the files (which took some figuring out / forum study as it was not in the wiki instructions) I could not replicate the same calibration success as in 3.5.1. Any help is much appreciated. I set the settings to the same by copying the settings folder content across to the new programme. is that wrong?

1) at the moment I am calibrating and scanning in 3.5.1 and post editing in 3.8/3.9. 64bit. I would like to go back to one workflow. Any tips for bug identification?

2) It kills me that I dont know any David Shortcuts. The results are endless clicks in the post scan editor. Are there keyboard shortcuts, especially for selecting editing tools?

Thanks team, Bjoern
BjoernReinke

Postby DrDucati » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:11 pm

Hi Bjorn,

Yes, I have been studying your work on fast scanning. Thank you! Your results give me hope that this is possible. When I get my set-up working I will be happy to share my workflow and results.

I envision a system with one projector and four cameras (up, down, left and right), capturing four scans in one second. Ideally, the projectors and the cameras would operate at 1080p30 and they would be oriented vertically (people are usually vertical). In principal, the registration of the four scans could be automatic because the four camera calibrations are relative to the single projector and the single calibration panel.

It seems that all of this is possible with the Image Grabber and maybe small changes to David.

Yes, let's hope that the brilliant David developers will include this capability in future development plans!

How did you rename the files? I am not able to calibrate in 3.5.1 either. That may be a file naming error or a pattern sequence error.

Cheers,
Wayne
DrDucati

Postby BjoernReinke » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:10 am

Let me to a screen recording and share via Youtube (link will be posted here), and upload the pictures I use for calibration in 3.5.1. Maybe you can then replicate the calibration.

Your setup of 4 cameras sounds sound, I will issue my setup with 2 cameras.

I am looking for strong contacts to assist with post-scan analysis, shaping and rendering of the face objects. Do you have contacts you can share?

Cheers,
Bjoern
BjoernReinke

Postby BjoernReinke » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:41 pm

The 3.5.1 workflow is now live on . It runs from camera and projector calibration to one of my face scans.

The image grabber pictures are listed here.

Any feedback as to how to improve the workflow and scans is much appreciated.

Best, Bjoern
BjoernReinke

Postby DrDucati » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:58 am

Hi Bjorn,

Good news! Image Grabber works great in David 3.8.1.

Thanks to your Youtube video, I got 3.5.1 to work with my Nikon DSLR. I found some of the same artifacts shown in your YouTube video (polygons way off the object mesh).

Then I got it to work with David 3.8.1. And the results were much better. The artifacts were gone!

Here are a few additions to Sven's HOWTO.

The pattern sequence settings must be the same when you generate the patterns and when you use Image Grabber. I used the quality scan settings: 58 patterns for calibration (vertical and horizontal) and 29 patterns for scanning (horizontal only). Frequencies: 8, Phase Shifts: 15.

Hardware Setup Menu > select calib_image.jpg (grey image).

Calibration Menu > Cam Properties > select cam_calib.jpg, image-01.jpg, ... image-58.jpg (these are the calibration images).

hit the Calibrate Button. Success!

Structure Light Menu > Cam Properties > select image-01.jpg, ... image-29.jpg (these are the scan images).

hit the Scan Button.

Below is a scan of my calibration panel, captured by a full-frame DSLR with a 50mm lens at 1080p30. The 1024x786 projector was displaying the pattern loop at 10 fps (slow because the projector and camera are not in sync.) As Athena suggests, it would be good to be able to sync them. Our captures could be 3x faster!

Cheers,
Wayne

panel_scan1080p30_3-8-1.JPG
No editing, exactly as captured. Some distortion at left and right edges. Wrinkles are in the glued paper.
DrDucati

Next

Return to Structured Light Scanning