[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - EOS High res scan
Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

EOS High res scan

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

EOS High res scan

Postby MagWeb » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:00 pm

Hello,

Until now DAVID isn´t able to handle direct communication with Canon EOS cams.
Owning a 550D since three days, I played a bit...

I triggered EOS by cable remote at lowest resolution this cam offers (4MP), loaded the images to my HDD and processed them via image grabber. And as a first result I found, scanning with high-res still image cams with current hardware will never be a quick thing. So consider if you really need such resolution and whether your PC is able to handle the giant file sizes. Processing the projector calibration images in vertical mode, after projector calibration, gave an result of 289MB without texture and texture coordinates (saved via Shapefusion).

But I got some nice results.

Gunter
Attachments
EosDino1.jpg
EosDino2.jpg
MagWeb

Re: EOS High res scan

Postby mipu » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:28 pm

hi gunter,

stunning result! could you give more information about how you did this? did i get you right that you did take single photos of the several projection patterns? for example: show pattern1 - take a photo, show pattern2 - take a photo,.....? how did you then get the fotosequence into david?

have a nice day!
windows 7 quadcore, benq beamer, canon dslr, automatic rotating table.
mipu

Postby MagWeb » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:24 pm

Hi,

well, the day could have been nicer...
You got me right - that´s what I did:

- grab a single still image of the calibration corner to calibrate the cam (A).
- grab a sequence with both orientations with calibration corner to calibrate the projector (B). (Make sure that the filenames keep the right order - but this should do EOS automatically)
- grab a sequence with vertical (maybe "both" too) orientation(s) to scan your object (with or without corner) (C). (Make sure that the filenames keep the right order)
- grab a texture shot (D)
(all these grabs without changing cam or projector)

- load all the images from your EOS SD to your HDD

- in DAVID in SL mode go to cam calibration and choose "image grabber" instead of a cam;
- choose calibration image A in the open file dialog
- calibrate the "cam"
- go to the SL menue
- click "cam properties". The openFile dialog pops up again.
- select all the images of sequence B at once by multiselection and click Open.
- Now DAVID displays all the images one after the other (PatternHoldingTime doesn´t matter)
- calibrate the projector on this sequence B (may last a while - your images are a bit bigger than scanning with a streaming cam)
- if successful continue
- select all the images of sequence C at once by multiselection and click Open.
- Process sequence C hitting the Start button
- When ready, now you may switch to Texturing
- select your single texture shot D and click Open.
- clicking "GrabTexture" this is applied to the mesh.

I´d try at lowest resolution of the EOS. As said, think that full 18MP res will force memory and CPU to their knees

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby milz » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:48 pm

hi

i have the same camera and had problems with files size of the obj cause of the big images
I resized my images with a batch job. worked well ...

mfg milz
Xeon x5650@4ghz
Cam : USB2 CCD 1024x768 / USB3 1280x900
Laser : LC532-5-3-F(16x65) Focusable Green
Projector Acer X110P / Acer K132
dControl one David control box + Turntable + automatic texture lights
mooooom bathroom!!!!!!
milz

Issue calibration projector

Postby vchmiele » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:41 am

I have followed all of your steps accurately, however when I try to calibrate my projector in the Structured Light menu, I get a failure.

I see all of my patterns (both horizontal and vertical) rapidly cycling through, and when I begin to calibrate my second monitor also cycles through the pattern (like it would if David was driving a projector). Does that have any thing to do with it?

Any help would be useful.

Thanks,

Vince
vchmiele

More info

Postby vchmiele » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:11 am

In addition, I have successfully calibrated the projector and camera in live mode (I am using a Canon EOS 60D). So I know that the failure is not because of my setup.

Then, I recorded 1080p video of the calibration patterns. I then pulled all of the frames from the video and numbered them in the correct sequence.

I am able to calibrate the camera fine every time, but when it comes time to calibrate the projector it fails. Also, I assume that perhaps the Frequencies and PhaseShift need to be identical to when I recorded the video. Is this true?

Another frustrating thing is that when I do try to adjust the frequencies and phaseshifts, David crashes every time.

Any ideas? clearly it can be done (see above dinosaur). HELP ME! :shock:
vchmiele

Postby WalterMo » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:59 am

WalterMo

worked!

Postby vchmiele » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:48 pm

Thanks a ton! I was going crazy trying to figure this one out. That seems to fix it.
vchmiele

Postby NARMELLA » Sun May 31, 2015 8:12 pm

Thank you Gunter,

Very useful topics and great ideas .

Good luck

NARMELLA
Data projector : NEC VE 281
Camera(s) : Canon eos 600D (3x)
Software : Lets scan 2.5 + David laser scanner 3.9
گشتاور صنعت تبریز
NARMELLA