Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

What's the optimal Structured Light setup for under $3.000?

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

What's the optimal Structured Light setup for under $3.000?

Postby JohnFe » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:56 am

Thought I'd try here as it's the proper sub-forum:

I'm willing to spend about 3-4k USD if it's possible to get the optimal ("best" for a lack of better word) setup with David. I'm wondering if the CCD monochrome camera available in the DAVID store is the most ideal camera for this? And which projector should I get?

My uses will be mainly scanning faces, and perhaps body parts like a hand. Eventually I would like to scan full bodies as well, but I realize it's a lot more difficult and requires more trial and error.

Hope someone more experienced with this can help out, cause I have no idea :(
JohnFe

Re: What's the optimal Structured Light setup for under $3.0

Postby MagWeb » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:36 pm

Hi,

The main advantage of the monochrome cam is: It detects a laserline regardless to a laser's color with all its pixels. So this is more important scanning with a laser...
SL uses white light, that is seen by all the pixels of a color cam too. I would choose the color cam (there might come something that may require color...there are also ways to use color codes in SL-projections).
Another option could be DSLR cams with PC remote control ability. E.G some (all?) of Canon EOS-serie. But maybe these are not supported by DAVID3.0 directly from its start...don´t know.
IMO HD resolution is enough for SL nowadays. Using this, you get up to 250MB filesizes /scan.
But it is realy hard to give some further advice, not yet knowing what will be supported by 3.0 - so don´t blame me later :wink: .

A short note to the optics: make sure that their angle of view fit to the projectors optics. Only if they fit together, you can set the field of view equal to the field of projection with cam + projector on the same distance to the object (as you have it mountig the devices on a rig).

As a projector I would strongly recommend LED technologie at its highest resolution available. If my proj would have a bulb, I would have killed several till now - and those aren´t cheap. Note: you will move the projector around while it is on! I own the ENWO HD 2nd Generation (there´s a 3rd Gen out now). 1st Gen made some trouble (but was replaced by ENWO without problems), but 2nd Gen does a perfect job here up to a size of half a body.
If you´d need more power to scan a full body, I´d look for those Casio projectors combining LED+blue laser technologie. From the technical specs this looks quite good - only fault is ( but that's trendy ) wide angled projection (big image on short distance), which should give more distortion of the projection.

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby JohnFe » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:59 pm

Thanks, this makes it easier :D . I think I'll buy a projector and the software for now. I own a DSLR already, so at least I can test it out until DAVID v3 comes out. And then perhaps ask you again about a new camera hehe :D

So which one of these two would you pick if they both cost the same?
http://shop.afterbuy.de/LED-Beamer-EnWo ... 077eee519/
OR
http://www.casio-projectors.eu/euro/products/xja255/

I'm ok with only scanning faces and body parts (like a hand). I would like to go with the first one (EnWo 3G) because I don't like the sound of distortion (I would like the mesh to be as close to reality as possible). But it says the EnWo only has 100 ANSI??? Compared to Casio's 3.000 ANSI! That sounds really bad, or am I missing something? :shock:

Also in what way do I have to move the projectors while it's on? I don't need to buy any motor stuff like with lasers I hope? :( I thought SL was done with patterns, that flash after each other or something. Do I have to buy/create a special rig to move the projector during scanning?

Last question, is a DSLR better than the CCD Color Camera (from the DAVID Store) for SL scanning?

Thanks for your time!
JohnFe

Postby MagWeb » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:18 pm

Hi

If you can get the casio for the price of the EnWO , buy one for me too (think it is about 3 times the EnWo).

The EnWo light allows to scan with open eyes (at your own risk) not looking directly into its optics .( For SL a darkend room is always better). Think it will be hard to stand the Casio. Too much light can also be a problem, for reflected light can brighten up the dark zones too much (but you could dim it with virtual or real filters, sure) .

You will have to move a cam/projector combo between to partial scans to get a new view of the person. Moving a Person is almost impossible without loosing his pose.
A SL-rig is a simple connection between projector and cam where both are fixed in their relation to each other. No motor needed if you do not want to do the movement between the scans motorized.

Pro for DSLR: High res, good optics and sensors. Cons: PC remote control needed to synchronize triggering cam and projector. High res images over 2 MP might be an overkill.
Pro for streaming cams: faster framerates, easily to be controlled via PC. Cons: limited resolution

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby JohnFe » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:07 pm

Oh yea, I know Casio costs like three times as much as EnWO, but I didn't want to compare prices, only the impact the projectors have on the scanning :) I don't mind spending the extra $1.000 or so if it gives me a better scan. But do you think I should go with EnWO? I don't mind scanning the person with eyes closed. But the distortion with Casio that you mentioned has me a bit worried. I'd like the scans to be as accurate as can be.

I realize this next question might sound a bit silly for 3d scanning, but: From what I gather of your pros/cons + moving of the rig, would using a RED camera (2-3k at 120fps, or 4k at normal speed) on a dolly track around the person (or subject) be a great setup for SL? If one could just find a way to mount the projector next to the camera on the dolly? :shock: :D

I personally do not own a RED, or a dolly. But the company I sometimes do work for does, and I should be able to use both occasionally for scanning. Assuming it's a good idea?

Thanks again!
JohnFe

Postby MagWeb » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:24 pm

Hi again,

concerning the EnWo I can only say : it is doing a good job here and I think you´re doing nothing wrong with it . As for the wide angled projectors as the casio: It is hard to say whether its built in correction may compensate it or DAVID will come up with some projector calibration (measuring its distortion). I saw its projection (never scanned with it) and it looked quite good.

Hehe, if you`re going to try a RED at 120fps: there is a refresh rate of the projector that limits the needed framerate (with this hardware maybe a fast laser scan would be better? - don´t know).... This is all a balance... but its normal framerate should give results of some quality - would be interesting. Try it if you can and give us feedback.

A dolly or (maybe better) a variable arm fixed on the wall (as used in barber shops for hair dryers) would be ideal to move the device quickly in space.

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby JohnFe » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:14 am

Ok, I didn't think about the refresh rate hehe. Thanks for the heads up. Other than the dolly the company also has a jib arm which I guess could be used to capture (two sides at least) very quickly. Like the front and left side. If it's on the dolly then one can easily get the third side after a few seconds as well. But the variable arm sounds great, I'll look into that as well. If not for moving the rig, maybe it can be used to attach the projector to the camera mount (dolly or jib).

I really want the projector I choose to be "perfect". I think I could fix the distortion in Post if it's possible to manipulate the images before running them through DAVID. I could film a lens grid plate before the actual scanning, then reverse the distortion pretty much back to normal. Or does the images/video need to be run through DAVID simultaneously as the scanning process?

Anyway, as soon as I get the projector/software, I'll start posting results. Thanks again for the help! :D
JohnFe

Postby milz » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:59 pm

heho

whats about somethink like this
http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/project ... l#DCP26-L2

PS: be carefull dont be scammed at dhgate -)

mfg milz
Xeon x5650@4ghz
Cam : USB2 CCD 1024x768 / USB3 1280x900
Laser : LC532-5-3-F(16x65) Focusable Green
Projector Acer X110P / Acer K132
dControl one David control box + Turntable + automatic texture lights
mooooom bathroom!!!!!!
milz

Return to Structured Light Scanning