Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Guide for SL scanning without background?

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

Guide for SL scanning without background?

Postby SVKCustoms » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:22 pm

Is there a guide for set up and scanning with SL without background because I can't get it to work.
I'm using a BENQ DLP projector running on 1024x768 resolution and to begin with just a cheap webcam capable of 1600x1200 resolution.
Kristian Somogyi
SVK Customs - Sportvagnskonsult
info@svkcustoms.com
SVKCustoms

Re: Guide for SL scanning without background?

Postby MagWeb » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:21 pm

Hi,

sorry, there is none... :(

Here´s the workflow:

Hardware: Mount cam and projector onto some rig, so they are fixed in their relation to each other;

Settings for planeless mode in general:
Set advanced settings Laserscanner/LaserPlaneCalculation/LaserMotionEstimation/Enabled to True;
and
Laserscanner/LaserPlaneCalculation/LaserMotionEstimation/UseRememberedPlanePoses to True;
and
Laserscanner/Triangulation/AllowPointsBehindPlanes to True
and
Laserscanner/Triangulation/BackgroundFilterFactor to -1;

Grab a calibration image of DAVID´s corner;
Load that image and calibrate;

Grab a serie1 of images (best of the empty corner)
Load that serie, DAVID will create a faked line movie.
Make sure that this movie shows a single moving lie without any nervous jumps.
(If there are flickering jumps or several ghost lines you´ve to play with your cam settings)
Go to the scanning page.
Make sure that the radio button is on "reference" and click on Start.
When the faked line has passed the corner ONCE (the colored scanresult is full) click on Pause (the faked line-movie is an endless loop!).
You should get a positive feed back from DAVID.

If so: DONE!

As long as you do not change the cam/projector relation, you may load different series of images without a background corner as long as the radio button on the scanning page is on "Repetition.

hth
Gunter
MagWeb

Postby SVKCustoms » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:17 am

MagWeb wrote:Hi,

sorry, there is none... :(

Here´s the workflow:

Hardware: Mount cam and projector onto some rig, so they are fixed in their relation to each other;

Done

Settings for planeless mode in general:
Set advanced settings Laserscanner/LaserPlaneCalculation/LaserMotionEstimation/Enabled to True;
and
Laserscanner/LaserPlaneCalculation/LaserMotionEstimation/UseRememberedPlanePoses to True;
and
Laserscanner/Triangulation/AllowPointsBehindPlanes to True
and
Laserscanner/Triangulation/BackgroundFilterFactor to -1;

Done

Grab a calibration image of DAVID´s corner;
Load that image and calibrate;

Do you mean project an image of a calibration corner onto a flat wall?
I downloaded the zip file linked in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1145
And then I projected the image CLAScanCalib on the wall and calibrated the camera succesfully.

Grab a serie1 of images (best of the empty corner)
Grab with what? How many images?
Load that serie, DAVID will create a faked line movie. )
Load that serie where? Then project the moving line with the projector on the wall?

Make sure that this movie shows a single moving lie without any nervous jumps.
(If there are flickering jumps or several ghost lines you´ve to play with your cam settings)
Go to the scanning page.
Make sure that the radio button is on "reference" and click on Start.
How shall the other buttons be set? Show camera image or show depth image? Thin shadow line?
When the faked line has passed the corner ONCE (the colored scanresult is full) click on Pause (the faked line-movie is an endless loop!).
You should get a positive feed back from DAVID.

If so: DONE!

As long as you do not change the cam/projector relation, you may load different series of images without a background corner as long as the radio button on the scanning page is on "Repetition.
On what purpose shall I load different series of images? I want to scan objects. Once I have done the reference scan, can I start and scanning real objects?
We have bought the 3D scanning service from another company before, but it's rather expensive, so I would like to be able to do the 3D scanning myself.
We make custom designed body parts for cars made of carbon fibre. We use 3D scanning to make symmetrical CNC milled molds for the parts. We used to buy also the mold milling service, but on wednesday I'm getting a portal robot with about 4m x-axis motion that will be equipped with a milling head, so together with the 3D scanningwe will make everything in house.

hth
Gunter

Some images of the 3D scanning equipment that's been used when we have bought the serivce and some pics of an ongoing project for a customer, more info of it and our other projects can be found on our website http://www.svkcustoms.com and also on the customers site about the project http://www.carboncossie.com :

Kristian Somogyi
info@svkcustoms.com
SVKCustoms

Postby MagWeb » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:25 pm

Hi,

hm, well... seems you missed some basics...

OK:
To calibrate your scanning rig, you need to build a real calibration corner using the calibration patterns (please see the manual in the WIKI).
Now take a 1st image of this corner (in simply bright light) using the cam on the rig and save it to your HD.
DO NOT MOVE THE RIG untill you grabbed the 12 pattern images too (see below).
Load this image to DAVID using the image grabber instead of a cam in the dropdown of the calibration page.
Hit calibrate.
If successfull, go on.

Now, select structured light grabber as cam. Choose the pattern dialog in the following popup.
Your projector should project the patterns you select in the dialog.
Shoot 12 images of the corner now, with each of the 12 patterns projected on the cornerand save them to HD.

Close the projection dialog. Choose the structured light grabber again, do not open the projection generator and open the images using multi selection in the file open dialog.

DAVID now creates a "laserline-movie" from the 12 images.

Switch to DAVIDs scanning page.

(radio buttons: ThinShadowLine . When you click Start you´ll get the depth image anyhow)
When the process has reached the the upper (or lower) edge of the ScanResultWindow hit Pause.
DAVID should have detected the way the "line" moves. Now you can grab and load image series without a background corner.

DAVID´s SL feature is in an experimental state atm. This will change with the comming new version (no release date known yet)

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby SVKCustoms » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:14 am

Thank you!

I've tried to do it with a proper calibration corner also, forgot to mention that, but it didn't make any difference.
But now I will try it again and follow your instructions precisely :)
Shall I use the new calibration pattern?

/Best regards

Kristian

MagWeb wrote:Hi,

hm, well... seems you missed some basics...

OK:
To calibrate your scanning rig, you need to build a real calibration corner using the calibration patterns (please see the manual in the WIKI).
Now take a 1st image of this corner (in simply bright light) using the cam on the rig and save it to your HD.
DO NOT MOVE THE RIG untill you grabbed the 12 pattern images too (see below).
Load this image to DAVID using the image grabber instead of a cam in the dropdown of the calibration page.
Hit calibrate.
If successfull, go on.

Now, select structured light grabber as cam. Choose the pattern dialog in the following popup.
Your projector should project the patterns you select in the dialog.
Shoot 12 images of the corner now, with each of the 12 patterns projected on the cornerand save them to HD.

Close the projection dialog. Choose the structured light grabber again, do not open the projection generator and open the images using multi selection in the file open dialog.

DAVID now creates a "laserline-movie" from the 12 images.

Switch to DAVIDs scanning page.

(radio buttons: ThinShadowLine . When you click Start you´ll get the depth image anyhow)
When the process has reached the the upper (or lower) edge of the ScanResultWindow hit Pause.
DAVID should have detected the way the "line" moves. Now you can grab and load image series without a background corner.

DAVID´s SL feature is in an experimental state atm. This will change with the comming new version (no release date known yet)

Gunter
Kristian Somogyi
info@svkcustoms.com
SVKCustoms

Postby MagWeb » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:03 am

Hi,

yes, sure the new V3 patterns do the best job.

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby SVKCustoms » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:28 pm

Havn't had time to work with the 3D scanner.
But I thought I'd share this with you tech geeks, my little CNC mold milling machine project, i got home with the parts for it yesterday evening:

And this is how it looks today:

Kristian Somogyi
info@svkcustoms.com
SVKCustoms

Postby moog » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:15 am

nice m/c i presume its 5 axis?
Did you design / build it yourself or is it made by another company?
LC532-5-3-F(16x65), BenQ PB8220 DLP Projector, logitec quickcam PRO9001, Casio EX-FH20
moog

Postby SVKCustoms » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:25 pm

moog wrote:nice m/c i presume its 5 axis?
Did you design / build it yourself or is it made by another company?

We will run it 3-axis to begin with a solid mounted milling head.
It has been used as a portal robot at another company before and it's built by FlexLink systems.
EDIT: I actually just talked to the guy who was one of the constructros of it back in 1994 :D
So he's going to help me with some parts that I need :)
Kristian Somogyi
info@svkcustoms.com
SVKCustoms

Return to Structured Light Scanning