Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

New camera

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

Re: New camera

Postby MagWeb » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:43 am

Hi maxem,

no problem, bugs are there to be fixed :wink:

I hope I´ve the right order of the fringe pattern now (hopefully, for I can check it out right now);
I added a new slider "global offset" that does not depend on the speed slider (as the time_offset slider does)to set a variable length of the first (black) pattern to make sure that the first triggered shot hits the first projection. You need this when the delay between sent message and actual shot is longer than the time of a single projection.

So again a new version at:
http://www.david-laserscanner.com/wiki/ ... ds#camtrig

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby maxem » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:23 pm

Gunter
its a beautiful thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6--Yz8PL5s

check it out this program is running off of an Intel atom netbook! Before i needed to be tethered to a more powerful computer to play the video file without skipping a frame here or there. If one had a pico projector that was battery powered and a simple netbook you could go anywhere.

The global offset is just what i needed for the Casio camera, and the patterns scan properly now.
thanks again
maxem

Postby MagWeb » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:47 pm

Hi maxem,

we are far off topic, but....

think we found a way for DAVID to capture a scan at 7MP resolution in 0,3 seconds.

If I think the current amount of 12 images are due to quality and a bit of a luxury....

Cheers, thanks for checking that out

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby hnphan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:29 pm

NICE! please do share what it is :P
hnphan

Postby maxem » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:51 am

Sorry i was not able to finish my post do to MLB playoffs its like the world cup of soccer here in the US.

The best I was able to get with my 120hz projector so far was at a speed of 1933 on the slider. The limitation is now the projector refresh rate. The camera captures a total of 32 to 33 images at 40fps and i pick out the 12 that are full frame patterns so you can say we get a scan in 0.8 seconds.

EDIT: I don't know that i am sure what your are saying gunter about it being a luxury, i think its great, especially if your scanning people. More importantly this is a good solution for automated SL scanning with still cameras that most people already have.

hnphan I have a friend who might, might let me borrow his nikon in the near future which shoots at 8fps to test for you to see the results at 8fps. I think that will capture in only 12 photos, I think the problem is only in breaking the 1second barrier do to the 30fps that most projectors display at. It seems you need a 2 to 1 or greater fps of projector to camera respectively.

I will be doing a real scan of someone next week and I will ask if i can post those results, in the mean time i will test this new setup for repeatability.
Last edited by maxem on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
maxem

Postby maxem » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:20 am

this is what i select from .8 seconds:
scan.JPG

i don't know if you can see the frames that are half there (green purple streaks) do to DLP projector refresh rate changing image. So i just select the good ones
maxem

Postby maxem » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:54 pm

I understand you now! I will no longer post after partying :oops: I was just excited about the speed

Thanks for clearing up that you meant capturing all 12 patterns is a luxury of quality, and that you can get a scan with less than 12 patterns but then you have a lower quality scan. gotcha

I set my casio to 30fps like your FC-100 and found it gets a scan in 1second at 1920speed on the slider.
I had my projector set to 60hz (30fps) which i assume your projector is. It has to capture 30 photos and then you select out the good 12 ones.

It seems the bad ones are when catching a change or frame or the scanning of DLP projector color wheel I don't know, I wonder if you would not happen as much with LCoS pico projector
01.JPG
02.JPG

there may be extra photos to delete but at least there is always 1 solid photo of each pattern
maxem

Postby fox » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:37 am

i want it too !!
but it doesn't work on my pc for some unknown reason.
i have :
windows 7 ultimate
laptop i core7
8gig ram
nvidia 1gig ram
hd screen resolution

control program is opening. but the window with calibration patterns not.
i have two tabs one for controller and for window( as i assume)
when im opening this software i see white window on the center of the screen for split second. but than is gone.

any clues?

thanks
fox
fox

Postby maxem » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:49 am

Yeah its probably just of your desktop screen to the left.
of the two tabs that show up on the taskbar at the bottom one should say "CamTrig"
hold down the SHIFT key and right click on it.(you should get extra menu options with MOVE in it,normally hidden in windows 7)
Hit the "M" key to select the move option
Then hold down the Right arrow key you should see it enter your screen from the left hand side then you can use your mouse to place it where you want.
If you get your monitor projector setup right it will pop up on one of them but for me its always the wrong one.
maxem

Postby MagWeb » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:17 am

Hi Maxem and Fox,

the app needs to have a special WINDOWS monitor setting.( RMB on desktop/Properties/Settings - al least at XP)
This second monitor has to be dragged in the settings GUI to the upper lefthand side of the first monitor. This settings have to be confirmed.

(Why? WINDOWS 2D coordinate system of the desktop sets the origin at the upper lefthand edge of your first monitor and counts the pixels from there. I do not know your 1st. monitor resolution, but I know the res of the second one. So it is an easy solution to set the 2nd monitors upper lefthand edge to the Windows coordinates of "-1024" in x and " 0" in y )

Maxem: Doesn´t that work on WIN7?
Saw you shots above: Did you try to reduce the framerate of the cam? This way you should be able to avoid those "transmission" shots. Or do we need a higher speed of projection? The apps upper limit was set just by some guess feeling...? Í´ll try to speed them upp.

Gunter
Attachments
monitors.jpg
MagWeb

Postby fox » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:36 am

lol

thanks, guys :D it worked :)
i would never thought about that :D
fox

Postby maxem » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:57 am

I don't know anything about circuits but this is what I have been doing, maybe someone should look and tell me if its 100% safe, all i know is that it works.
Arduino-wiring.jpg

When you have arduino plugged into USB and set to COM 1 the TX led on the arduino board will be OFF until you open the CamTrig App and then it should stay ON if it doesn't your arduino is probably defaulted to the wrong COM port.
For Casio cameras gunter showed the pinout above. For Canon's you want one of the green wires to 1)Gnd and the other to 3)Release Shutter in photo below.
400D_Remote_Jack.JPG

You can find an Arduino anywhere on the internet. The other two i got from radioshack just cause there's one by me.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... ab=summary
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... id=prod_cs
maxem

Postby maxem » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:24 am

Ha! Gunter I did not know you can just drag the 2nd monitor in front of the first. I learn something from you everyday

Yes i reduced the frame rate to 30fps in that shot. I have also been playing with 10 fps just to see if i can avoid the "transmission" shots completely, but it doesn't seem to be reliable because sometimes it will land on a transmission shots. still tryin to figure it out.

I don't think the speed slider needs to go any higher but if you were to change anything I would maybe add more intervals or positions to the higher end for finer tuning. I would really like to be able to just type in a number for real fine tuning. :D
Does the FC-100 also have options to shoot at 10fps and slower?
The FH-20 has option to shoot at: 1,3,5,10,15,30,40fps
What i really like about the FH-20 is that if you go into the menu you can set it to remember its last settings for everything after powering off and then back on. I know that sounds like something very simple but its perfect for a dedicated scanning rig camera because it always zooms and focus to the correct distance just by pressing the ON button. Does the FC-100 have options to save zoom and manual focus position?
maxem

Postby MagWeb » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:57 am

maxem wrote:I don't think the speed slider needs to go any higher but if you were to change anything I would maybe add more intervals or positions to the higher end for finer tuning.

Ha, had the same idea meanwhile (I cann´t speed it up anyhow). So I loaded up an additional version with a speed slider only covering 1900-2000. This gives finer tuning here (but one cann´t go below 1900).

http://www.david-laserscanner.com/wiki/ ... ds#camtrig

I think one should port this to some better GUI, sure. But I see this as a test app only meant to check out some possibilities. Finally, I think, something similar should be easily be implemented in DAVID3 - isn´t it?

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby maxem » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:40 pm

haha yeah about that mysterious DAVID3...

Yes this is great for testing. I will try out the high speed version, good choice of range 1900-2000.
thanks
maxem

PreviousNext

Return to Structured Light Scanning