Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Do not get it to work

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

Do not get it to work

Postby parebo64 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:03 pm

Hi everyone.
First let me apologize for my English, I'm writing this through the google translator.
I am a newbie and I downloaded the trial version. I am very interested in using the proposed ecaneo. Does the test version works with structured light?. Do not get it to work.
I managed to calibrate the camera and to plan and record the 12 images. Where do I have to read these 12 images that begins to scan?.
Thank you.
parebo64

Re: Do not get it to work

Postby MagWeb » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:34 pm

Hi, welcome,

The free version does everything the licensed version does. The only two limts are :
You can not save in Shapefusion;
and Saving your scans is only possible at 320x240 res. (If you scanned at higher res, it will be reduced)

Experimental SL works here too ( with the saving limit).

WorkFlow:

Setup:
Install a projector as second monitor in WINDOWS;
adjust that projector onto a DAVID corner with patterns;
adjust a cam onto that corner at a centerline angled about 33° to the centerline of the projector;

Grabbing images:
Grab an image of a enlighted corner using your cam`s software (Image-A)and save it to HardDosk;
Open David > Go to calibration> Choose the structured light grabber> hit Yes in the popp up dialog>
Now switching the projections (should appeare on your projector), grab all 12 (also the total black and white ones) images using your cam´s software and store them to your HardDisk in exactly order;
Close your cam´s software and the DAVID projection dialog;

Processing images;
Back on calibration page> Choose the image grabber as cam> browse to Image-A and open it> Click "calibrate" (hope that´s successful - otherwise search for calibration help).
Done > choose structured light grabber as cam > hit No in the pop up dialog > sbrowse to the 12 images, select all at once and click open > now DAVID should process a movie of a moving line in the "camview" window.
Switch to DAVIDs scanning page and click on START. ...

Hope that works for you

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby parebo64 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:04 am

Hi, thanks for your quick response.
I think it was working with too much resolution (1600x1200)
Now I get something with 800x600
Do you know When will the version 3?. I am very interested in the structured light.
Thank you.
parebo64

Postby moog » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:44 am

I've tried using the "Angel too" samples you posted to try out the structured light, it seems to be working like it should, except when i start the scanning, it tells me "laser line too weak" and not detected etc...
I've tried different resolutions as well, Is there something in the advanced settings i have to set first.
Any help greatly appreciated..
LC532-5-3-F(16x65), BenQ PB8220 DLP Projector, logitec quickcam PRO9001, Casio EX-FH20
moog

Postby milz » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:10 pm

heho

its important that the 12 image have numbers like image001 image002 to get the right
sort of the pics ...
in my first try i had the problem with image10 image11 cause windows
sorts image11 before image1 so i used 010 011 etc ...

mfg milz
Xeon x5650@4ghz
Cam : USB2 CCD 1024x768 / USB3 1280x900
Laser : LC532-5-3-F(16x65) Focusable Green
Projector Acer X110P / Acer K132
dControl one David control box + Turntable + automatic texture lights
mooooom bathroom!!!!!!
milz

Postby MagWeb » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:51 pm

Hi,

this serie was done to test planeless scanning with SL.

So you´ve to calibrate using the attached calibpoints.dat and copy the laser_motion.xml included in the files.zip here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1145&start=45#p7394

I just tried it:
With a fresh advanced setting (maybe you rename yours as a safty copy - DAVID will create a new one with default settings) the only thing you´ve to do is to enable planeless scanning (Laserscanner/LaserPlaneCalculation/LaserMotionEstimation/Enabled=true) and perform a repetition scan.

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby moog » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:51 am

i still can't get it to work...
I put the laser motion.xml into the David folder, along with the calibration, and enabled the planless scanning,
I haven't changed the resolution of my second monitor , but assumed that is OK because i'am just loading in the pictures.
One thing that I'm not clear on... you say, i then have to perform a repitition scan, but when i switch to the scanning window, it's already selected, so i just hit start?
Do i need to play with any of the contrast or brightness settings or resolutions?
LC532-5-3-F(16x65), BenQ PB8220 DLP Projector, logitec quickcam PRO9001, Casio EX-FH20
moog

Postby MagWeb » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:44 pm

Hi,

nothing to do with the camsettings... (you do not have some...)

So should it work:
Choose the image grabber as cam, choose the calib image and do a calibration.
Now choose the structured light grabber and load the 12 images (all exept the calib image)

Switch to the scanning page and do a repetition scan.
(as soon as there is a Laser_motion. xml the radio button is on repetition by default)

no more idea what could be the reason for your problem...
Gunter
MagWeb

Postby moog » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:39 am

when i switch to the scanning window the laserline is running but only the reference button is available,repetition is selected but greyed out.
see pics.
Sorry to keep asking questions, but i'd really like to get this to work as it looks like the direction id like to go, from the results others have posted
01.jpg
Attachments
02.jpg
moog

Postby MagWeb » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:02 pm

Hi,

found it:

If you paste the laser_motion xml, without having LaserMotionEstimation Enabled=True or a laser_motion.xml had before, the reference is grayed out.

Simply close DAVID now and reopen it. now it should work - hopefully.

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby moog » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:36 am

thanks for the reply, i checked and it was already set , but still the repetition is still greyed out, but selected?
Still won't work?
Attachments
03.jpg
moog

Postby Khalid Khattak » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:16 am

Hi First you will have to make the Reference Scan.. When the David get the reference scan and detected the motion of laser , the repetition scan will be enabled then...
PC: Dell Inspiron i3, 2.27GHz,4GB RAM,64 bit windows 7
CAMERA:
David CCD Mono USB
LASER:
David 5mW Green line laser
PROJECTOR:
3D LED Mini Projector 250lumens, Native 1024x600
[b]http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/
Khalid Khattak

Postby moog » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:27 am

So, do I, load the picture of the panels, calibrate, switch to the scanning window then pick reference scan, then go back to the calibration window, to load the 12 pictures,(as well as copying the laser motion file into the David folder) then go back to the scanning window and start the scan ?
moog

Postby MagWeb » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:26 am

Hi,

no, using this images you are not allowed to do any scanning in reference mode. (The reference scan that fits to this special set was done before. Its different laserPlanePositions are stored in the laser_motion.xml). If you ever done some reference scan with this laser_motion.xml already in the folder, DAVID may have changed its content...

I suggest to do a fresh download of DAVID.
Unzipp it.
Unzipp the files.zip download from the "Angel too download" into that directory. (You will be asked whether to overwrite calibpoints .dat - confirm)
Now open DAVID, open advanced settings and set
Laserscanner/LaserPlaneCalculation/LaserMotionEstimation/Enabled=true;
Go to calibration page, choose "image grabber" and select the calib image of the Angel too serie;
You will have to mask some wrong detected points in the upper and lower center and calibrate.
Still on calibration page, choose "structured light grabber" , cilck No on the following dialog, select all the twelve images at once and click open.
After a while the moving line will be visible.
Go to scanning
If "repetition" is grayed out, close the program and reopen it.
Now go to calibration and load the images again (without a calibration) and go forward to the scanning page.
Now "repetition" should be green and clicking on Start should make the scan get visible after some to short lines...

That´s all. In this cases and with this serie, you should not do anything else
Gunter
MagWeb

Postby moog » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:24 am

Gunter, Thank you so much for your help, that worked like a dream...
I'll ask a friend to lend me a projector so i can try some scans of my own
moog

Return to Structured Light Scanning