Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Can't tilt a DLP projector???

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

Can't tilt a DLP projector???

Postby Strob » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:16 am

After making a few promising simulations in a 3D software, I decided to order a HD dlp projector (a Benq W1000). I just receive my new (and expensive) projector and I fell from my chair when I learned that it is not possible to tilt the projector more than 15 degrees!!!

Are all dlp projectors like this or what? If I can't tilt it I will not be able to get more than 30 degree between my camera and the projector AND project form top and bottom...

I noticed that Moe did some face scanning while his projector was tilted more than that.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1422
I wonder what brend is it...
Strob

Re: Can't tilt a DLP projector???

Postby KopkoH » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:25 am

Try to tilt CAMERA!!!
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (6.89 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
KopkoH

Postby funtasma » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:59 am

I guess it is a problem of the heat circulation. The device is designed to soak air from below and transport it around the heat source to the top I guess. If you shift the device too much the heat circulation would not work the way it should and destroy the device, I guess.

I use Kopkoh's setup since otherwise I often have depth of field problems with my projection.

-Benjamin-
funtasma

Postby Strob » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:10 pm

But how do you get the bottom side of your surface with taht setup? When you move the camera to the bottom do you do calibration again?
Strob

Postby funtasma » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:39 pm

You would like to turn the object, not the setup.

-Benjamin-
funtasma

Postby Strob » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:33 pm

Ok I just did a test using white line projection and I turned my object and I discovered how david can automatically align the multiples scans!! I'm impressed, that's fantastic!!!
Strob

Return to Structured Light Scanning