Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Is there a Structured Light Guide?

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

Is there a Structured Light Guide?

Postby eliscio » Sun May 09, 2010 9:21 pm

Hi All,

I am ready to try the structured light in David once more and had a look through a number of posts (did some searches), but there are just a lot of bits an pieces and nothing more like a guide.

I think we are a long way from 2.4.3 and am curious if it's time to include this in the user help files?

Does something like this already exist?

Thanks,

Eugene
www.ai2-3d.com
eliscio

Re: I have no answer, but

Postby Thierry » Mon May 10, 2010 5:46 pm

same question for me...
in one old post it was writing that THE master of scan: gunther had made a pdf to explain how use the structured light, but i couldn't find any where a link to download it !
Thierry

Re: Is there a Structured Light Guide?

Postby eliscio » Fri May 14, 2010 4:47 am

I've searched through the forum and would appreciate people placing any tips or quotes from other posts about how to scan with strucutred light. In the end, I hope we will have some kind of a guide. (Please add any comments or make corrections/additions where necessary).

Basic Structured Light Process (information from here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1355)

Structured light (in DAVID) extracts a movie of a moving line from the images. The first thing that needs to be done is the camera calibration, just as you would with a laser setup. Calibration begins by taking a single image of the calibration panels and having DLS make the necessary calculations.

What is different in this case is that you might be using a digital camera, video or webcam. So, take a photo of the empty calibration corner and then use the Image Grabber to load this first image. You need the calibration to be successful before moving on.

It is always a good idea to take a reference scan. So, switch to Structured Light Grabber and take photos of each of the projected screens. Remember you should not move the camera at any time during this process so use a tripod! Load your photos and when done, switch to the scanning step and hit "start".
www.ai2-3d.com
eliscio

Return to Structured Light Scanning