Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Loss of details after fusion...

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

Loss of details after fusion...

Postby AlbinKlein » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:15 am

Hello, I am getting pretty good details when I scan with my new camera, Logitech pro 9000 BUT when I possion the scans I get a loss of details even if I possion it at 850 resolution....How can I avoid it?...When I do a simple fusion is good but is a bit rough and when I possion it then puff, very smooth and clean but with loss of detail...

Can you guys help me on this?
-AK
-David Background Panels.
-Logitech QuickCamPro 9000
-Green focusable laser and moving it very slow with one of those kitchen timers...
AlbinKlein

Re: Loss of details after fusion...

Postby MagWeb » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:37 am

Hi,

- using Poisson fusion, I do not do any smoothing of the single scans in the scanning step. Leave them unsmoothed only interpolated.
- the fusion merges data (points of the pointcloud) near to each other. So if your aligned scans own "doubled skinned" areas in the needed overlapps, caused by unprecise alignment (or scanning), these areas will loose details. So if you notice a mesh not fitting precisly to the others, erase the overlapps after aligning or try (Global) Fine alignment several times...
- if there are fine details rise the fusion resolution (maybe 850 isn´t enough) and go for a coffee :D , it may last a while...

Gunter
MagWeb

Re: Loss of details after fusion...

Postby AlbinKlein » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:41 am

I don´t use any smoothing at all but seems my problem is with the overlapping scans..

Thanx
-AK
-David Background Panels.
-Logitech QuickCamPro 9000
-Green focusable laser and moving it very slow with one of those kitchen timers...
AlbinKlein

Return to Shape Fusion