Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by the end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Saving File

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

Saving File

Postby Bruno » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:29 am

When i save a file i can coose (in german language) "Oberflächennormalen". What does this means?
Gruss aus Hitzkirch von Bruno
Bruno

Postby Bongobat » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:07 am

Hi Bruno,

I think it means you can save the surface normal direction with the model. A surface normal in a 3D model is normally used for lighting calculations.They can be manipulated to give the model a different appearance. for example you can average the normals to give a smooth appearance and reversing a normal usually causes the face to be invisible. You can find more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_normal
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Postby Bruno » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:58 am

Thanks Bongobat
I have to studie about this, maybe this is stuff i do not check :(
Gruss aus Hitzkirch von Bruno
Bruno

Postby MagWeb » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:53 pm

Hi,

to simplify:

A normal(vector) points towards the direction one single face (a plane between at least three points of the pointcloud nearest to each other) looks to.
So, if you flip the direction of all normals, a scan of a footprint in the beach (negative) becomes the sole of the foot (positive) - or more abstract: a concave shape becomes convex.

Gunter
MagWeb

Return to Shape Fusion