Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Align and merge two side of butterfly scan

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

Align and merge two side of butterfly scan

Postby davide445 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:53 pm

From SLS-3 scanner I got two faces of a butterfly, I need later to enlarge, cut, 3d print and paint it.

Problem is being almost 2D I can't find enough overlapping points to perform automathic alignment and merge.

The marker I used for initial alignment (the thong holding the pin that fix the butterfly) was only on one side of the object so I can't use it for both.

So interested to know if there is any smart way to align the two side and next merge them in one single mesh, using DAVID 4 or other programs (Meshmixer, 3d-coat or similar).
Attachments
2016-06-29_13-43-53.png
davide445

Re: Align and merge two side of butterfly scan

Postby AIMED » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:58 am

What I do for these kind of issues is put the part in straight holder. Like A in picture and get some kids clay or plastishine and make an uneven ball. Take some clay in hand and squeze it. It will make an uneven shape. Put the shape under the part, like B in picture. Then make some scans by rotating the handle. But make sure clay must not be loose. After that align all scans.

Logitech QuickCAM Pro 9000
Toshiba Satellite, 4GB RAM, 1GB AMD display
Panasonic Projector (model unknown)
AIMED

Re: Align and merge two side of butterfly scan

Postby hal » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:35 am

Hello davide445,
The suggestion by AIMED is good.
But if you can't scan again that subject, please give a try to this (it isn't a perfect alignment method, but still can work with a good % of approximation): take one of the two sans you have, RMB (Right Mouse Button) on the scan's name in the list of scans, flip normals, align the flipped one to the first scan. When the raw alignment is done, RMB on the same scan as before and flip again normals. That should work enough because the wings have a similar flat areas that is so thin to be considered like the same one (this could work with leafs, and sheets, too). Then adjust manually the second scan looking at the borders. David doesn't have a "pivot" feature (I mean a feature that allow the user to choose a customizable point that work as scan's center, so you could refine your manual alignment via other software that have this feature).

Give it a try if you don't need the perfect relative positions betwenn the two scans. Otherwise you are forced to scan again the butterfly, following the previous suggestion.
In any case, don't forget to set high the Fusion resolution, at the end. If you will set low Fusion values, you could have holes in the wings' areas.

Regards,
Mattia
hal

Return to Shape Fusion