Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

REMOVING UNWANTED OVERLAPPING SURFACES

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

REMOVING UNWANTED OVERLAPPING SURFACES

Postby Curiousjeff » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:03 am

Found this technique today, sorry if it's been mentioned before:

Problem: Two overlapping parts where one of them is not as sharp and thus is reducing the quality of the area of both.

Once aligned (of course) -> view two scans (or a many).

Identify the scan that has a poor surface in the area you are trying to correct.

With two or more scans visible, select the area with polygon or rectangle selection that is overlapping and of poor quality.

Turn off (eye icon in the list) all scans except the one to delete area.

Delete key or red X

Continue the same procedure as you make the next scan visible.

It may sound complicated, but it's actually very fast, a few seconds per scan to clean.

Jeff
P.S. A free lasso tool would be helpful instead of the polygon tool. :)
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Re: REMOVING UNWANTED OVERLAPPING SURFACES

Postby WP2016 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:23 pm

I use the same technique to remove unwanted surfaces. In addition, I will use multiple good scans to fuse a rough shape first and then to scan details to add on the rough shape (often because there was deep cuts and the projector with the close-up lens had too shallow depth of view). I use the delete tool to remove unwanted surfaces when adding on the details. However, one issue was persistent: for local scans, the alignment algorithm hits and misses unpredictably.

I am still looking for ways to improve the alignment results (I tried changing the parameters in the settings, didn't see any noticeable improvement). Now I am getting into Meshlab and see if a better manual alignment could be achieved. Anything comment is welcome. Thanks!
Projector: Acer K132 + 1/2/4/10 X closeup dai. 52 mm.
Camera: Grasshopper 3 GS3-U3-28S4C-C (@ 1600 X 1200, 30 fps); Lens: 8-50 mm F/1.4.
Computer: USB 3.0, CPU: 2.6-3.5 GHz, GPU: 3G NVidia 970M, 32G RAM.
WP2016

Return to Shape Fusion