Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

remove unwanted edge between scans

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

remove unwanted edge between scans

Postby fsp_david » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:47 pm

I tired to take 4 scan of human face. after each scan, I delete noisy and wavy edge and area of each scan. the auto alignment did a good jobs for all scans. later at fusion state, I use pairwise fine registration with texture enabled to align each scan again. And finally I fuse them together at resolution 1000. attached is the final output.

However, I got edge of each scan at the final fusion model as highlighted in attachment. And it takes me very long to process auto alignment (1-2 minutes). Has anyone got similar problem? and how do you solve it? I understand that it may caused by breathing movement of human. I tried to hold the breath when scanning. if this is the case, how do you minimize it? thank you!

My camera and sls-2 setting for each scan
exposure: 60, brightness: 255, pattern: quality, orientation: both, auto grab texture, smooth average: 20, smooth median: 20 and auto alignment to previous scan.
Attachments
scan_edge2.jpg
fsp_david

Re: remove unwanted edge between scans

Postby hunkatibor2 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:28 pm

Hi
Write down how it was attached to the head?
Tibor
Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHZ 16GB RAM Windows 7 64bit David 4.5.0
2 Basler A622F camera 2 Tamron Asfirical AF 28-80mm lense
LG DLP Projector PF1500G Canon D40 Tokina 17-70mm 1:2.8-4,5
Humanti Calibration panel system and Alignmed&Two camera
hunkatibor2

Postby MagWeb » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi,

Well, scanning humans isn't the easiest task. Maybe you train yourself on not moving objects first.
Besides the problem of breathing or slightly shaking there might be also different reasons:
- check your calibration corner (although the SLS-2 corner should be a good one - but any hardware might ship with errors);
- did you make sure that your devices were warmed up before calibrating the system?
- maybe you'd accidentally changed the devices' positions or the focuses after calibration?

- maybe the Quality check value was set to low?

- your smoothing settings are pretty high. A single partial scan might look nicer with such radical smoothing but if you smooth out details Shapefusion has more problems to find fitting geometry.
- you are using both orientations. This only makes sense if you have a diagonal setup (means DAVID detects an intersection angle of about 20° for horizontal AND vertical patterns). Otherwise Both simply increases scanning time which is a considerable thing for scanning humans.

- you might repair your seams problem by manually removing unnecessary overlaps AFTER alignment right before doing the fusion.
MagWeb

Postby fsp_david » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:51 am

thanks for all advise. will try.
fsp_david

Return to Shape Fusion