Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Automatic alignment after scanning process

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

Automatic alignment after scanning process

Postby Anti » Mon May 19, 2014 7:56 am

Hi,

due to reasons of time I decided to scan a few objects without letting the David software align each scan to the previous one. Thus, I'd like to know if it is possible to instruct the software to do some automatic alignments of scans in a way such that the second scan will be adjusted to the first, the third to the second, etc.

Thanks in advance
Anti
Anti

Re: Automatic alignment after scanning process

Postby MagWeb » Mon May 19, 2014 8:26 am

Hi Anti,

sorry, there's no way to align a set automatically in current DAVID3.
DAVID2 had a CommandFileInterpreter where you could script a Shapefusion strategy.
Lars developed an automatic alignment app: http://forum.david-3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5513. Unfortunately its date of expiry was 15th February 2014.
MagWeb

Postby Anti » Mon May 19, 2014 8:39 am

That's really a pity. Thank you, MagWeb!
Anti

Postby Artisan S » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:07 pm

Eh, that may be not entirely true! (said he quoting a line from Independence Day)......now David has no Area 51 (eh, except for some "non documented settings") but it sure as hell has a checkbox stating,

Align to previous scan......

on the bottom of the "Structure light" tab of the left menu.......now if that is checked David tries to allign scans automatically. I must admit, I have seen some not to pleasing results, so I rather scan by hand and I have no idea wether this takes into account the settings of the "Shape fusion" tab regarding prefered alligment method, but it is present in David.

Greets, Ed.
Artisan S

Postby Artisan S » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:14 am

Nope is does not take the settings into account......thought that but some experimenting confirmed this. I use a stepper powered rotor (a canadian/dutch build) and so I would be able to scan quickly and efficiently while watching TV and using the commercial breaks to stop and start the scanner. But no such luck, but hey, Dutch commercial breaks are usually longer then the program they sponsor so that gives me time enough to allign 72 scans mannually and get global fine allign started during the first commercial.....when global fine allign has finnished the next commercial break is allready in progres.....plenty of time to perform a few fusions and cut up the individual meshes.....now I can't watch German TV while I'm doing this (no commercial breaks) so that remains a problem.

Greets, Ed.
Artisan S

Return to Shape Fusion