Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

exported stl opens but object is not visible?

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

exported stl opens but object is not visible?

Postby glenchung » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:47 pm

Hi. I have achieved a five clean scans of a golf club head. After aligning, fusing and saving as an .stl, I try to open the .stl file in Blender. The file opens, but there is nothing viewable. I try to open in Autodesk Inventor. Same result.

I expect the object to appear immediately on opening the file, just as it appears in my David software window. What am I doing wrong, please?

Thank you for your time again.
glenchung

Re: exported stl opens but object is not visible?

Postby glenchung » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:54 pm

Aha, it is now visible in Autodesk Inventor, but not in Blender.
I just needed to wait for Inventor to load the full file.

The file is quite large, 237 Mb. If I were to attempt to slice the .stl into gcode for 3d printing, what slicer program would you recommend for such a large file?
glenchung

Re: exported stl opens but object is not visible?

Postby MagWeb » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:09 pm

The reason why you don't see the file in Blender might be that it is farer of the worlds origin than the field of Blender's default virtual cam settings.
I'm not using Blender but if you'd zoom out you should find it (if my assumption is right).
Alternatively: Move the object's center of mass to the world's origin (e.g. in Meshlab Menue Filters/Normals,Curvatures and Orientation/Apply Transform: Hit MoveCenterToOrigin , Apply and CloseAndFreeze. You might need to recenter MeshLabs cam again via View/Trackball/ResetTrackball - Save your file) - It might still be bigger than Blender's default scene but centered now.

Just an idea...
MagWeb

Return to Shape Fusion