Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

novice: background got fused onto my object.

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

novice: background got fused onto my object.

Postby glenchung » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:30 pm

I am using a black background, but my object scanned with some background material stuck on in the image.
Here is a link to my stl.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/90t50pskf0rbb ... esult2.stl

The object is a golf ball sitting on top of a spool of fishing line. I fused six scans, rotating the object a little bit for each scan.

How can I get the object scanned without any of that background material stuck on in the image?

Thanks very much for your time.
glenchung

Re: novice: background got fused onto my object.

Postby MayCrown » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:27 am

I don't have my desktop computer with me today. But no need to d-load the stl, unless you don't want us to clean the scan for you. Just as the david scanner manual says, if you make the object fill the camera screen, you won't have that problem. If you post an image, we can help further.

Best regards.
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/MayCrown
MayCrown

Postby WalterMo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:02 am

Before fusing you have to remove all things which doesn't belong to your object.

To avoid scanning of the background goto 'Advanced Settings' (the cogwheel symbol at the top of the screen), then Structured Light, ResultFiltering, MaxDepth.
Or instead of MaxDepth set a hook at RemoveCalibPlanesAndBeyond.

For manual cleaning you can use (in Shape Fusion) DAVID's cleaning tool (left from the cogwheel).
1. Click on the little square symbol. => now it's red and active.
2. Choose (under the triangle symbol) one of its 3 kinds to mark the not wanted area, e.g. use 'Rectangle Selection'.
3. Surround by continuously pressing the left mouse button the not wanted (rectangle) area.
4. Release this button. => the area becomes red.
5. Click on the red X (right from the square) and the area is removed.
6. After cleaning click again on the square symbol to reverse its activity.

Another and more elegant way of manual cleaning is this:
At 2. Don't choose the 'Rectangle Selection' but the 'Polygon Selection'. And then...
3. Lay a polygon precisely around your object by clicking with the left mouse button at every vertex of the polygon.
4. When it is finished (surrounded) click with the right mouse button. => scan is red.
5. Don't click now on the red X! But click on the black/white symbol left of the little triangle.=> all the not wanted area becomes red.
6. Click on the red X.

My work flow is:

During the scan process each single scan is saved.
Then I upload again each scan (separately) and clean it.
After cleaning it is saved under a new name.
Then all the cleaned scans are uploaded for alignment and fusion.

In so doing I have a guarantee not to damage or to lose something important.
X79GHY
WalterMo

Postby glenchung » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:33 pm

Thank you. I see this is a more laborious process than I had expected. Are all 3d scanners like this, or is there another type of 3d scanner that is easier to use, more of a black box / turnkey solution to 3d scanning?
glenchung

Postby WalterMo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:49 pm

3D scanning isn't as easy as to take a photo with a fully automatic digital camera.

You have called yourself a 'novice'. Such a title expects that its owner is willing to learn something.
WalterMo

Postby glenchung » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:51 pm

okay, okay, got it. Thanks for the help, I will try these tips.
glenchung

Return to Shape Fusion