Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Thickness of stl fuses?

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

Thickness of stl fuses?

Postby KNSCI » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:18 pm

Greetings!
on the wiki page:
http://wiki.david-3d.com/david3_user_ma ... ape_fusion
Detailed Instructions step 17 says "With the option “Close Holes”, Fusion will close ALL holes in the scans, resulting in a “water-tight” 3D model."
I'm printing an stl that I saved from Shape Fusion with Close Holes selected now and it looks like it created a solid object.
So I'm wondering what the DAVID software does/can do regarding solidity/wall thicknesses.
If you don't select Close Holes, what wall thickness of object is created with saving as stl?
If you do select Close Holes and want a given wall thickness, a) is it possible with DAVID? or b) if so how to set the thickness?
Or is this something a CAD person would do when given the obj file?
Many thanks!
KNSCI

Postby hal » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:44 am

Hello,
no sorry, David can only close the mesh, can't create a thickness of the walls.
This is a tool usefull only for 3D printing, and David don't have this features.

There are some ways to creat walls, with many different software. If you can have access to Materialise Magics, it have a function to create thickness and specify the amount in mm or inches. A freeware (but more complicated) way is, with other 3D editing software, to duplicate the mesh, flip the normals and reduce its size. It the object have a simple shape, it can work, but if have articulated parts and undercuts, this couldn't be work. So you need a "shell" or "offset" tool of the 3D software. By this way you cna create a inner shell (eg.: 3D Studio Max have this modifier) or create an offeset of the surface. If you work with ZBrush, you can duplicate the mesh, push it in side and simplify and decimate it. Invert the normals and save all as a single mesh.

Remember also to create little holes in the voulme, if you aim to use liquid resin printers.

Best regards,
Mattia
hal

Re: Thickness of stl fuses?

Postby MagWeb » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:51 pm

Just to point to a freeware solution:

MeshMixer's latest release gives nice features to create an inner shell at any desired wall thickness.
MagWeb

Postby hal » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:17 pm

Thanks Gunter,
I forgot that nice software :D

Mattia
hal

Postby KNSCI » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:57 pm

@ Hal, many thanks for the detailed reply. As you can tell, I'm new to this whole theme, but am learning as fast as I can. We have a colleague who is smart in Zbrush, I'll ask if he knows how to use the technique you mention.

@MagWeb; thanks too for the suggestion, we're not wealthy and CAD software is still pricey so free can be good. I do have MeshMixer but haven't even installed it yet since CAD is not my specialty and I've been trying to learn to scan first. But I and/or the designer will have a look. What file format is MM working with? I would save the fusion as an OBJ and import that to MM?
KNSCI

Postby MagWeb » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:23 pm

MeshMixer isn't CAD (no NURBS) but a high-poly mesh modifying tool. You can use DAVID outputs as obj or stl directly. Unfortunately its texture support isn't that good and fails loading DAVID textures right. IMO it is ideal to process/refine DAVID results if you are interested in the shape only.
MagWeb

Postby KNSCI » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:41 pm

Thanks Magweb! our CAD guy says he has a solution, but didn't say if it involved Meshmixer or not. Will ask tomorrow.
We are scanning our detailed sculptural objects for customization in software and later 3d printing and casting. Want to retain as much detail of the originals as possible with DAVID hw and sw so we have a good baseline to deviate from in CAD and sculptural sw.
KNSCI

Postby Artisan S » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:22 pm

If you want to use modelling/CAD and don't mind a little learning curve (in the shape of the Eiger nordwand)......

www.blender.org

If you want to use CAD pur sang......this is the place to go!

http://www.freecadweb.org/

Greets, Ed. (BTW with a B9 I would like to have your money at the moment :-))......
Artisan S

Return to Shape Fusion