[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - Saving a fused model
Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Saving a fused model

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

Saving a fused model

Postby jharrison » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:49 am

On a few occurrences Shapefusion has gotten stuck when trying to save a fused file as an OBJ. It will no write the file and ask if I want to continue or quit the program.

If there a limit to the number/size of the fused model that you are able to scan?

Are there any known bugs during this saving process that I should know about, or is this just a random fluke?
jharrison

Postby MagWeb » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:32 am

Hi,

brilliant work. Don´t forget the texture shots. 2.0 is comming.....!

Do you use the Simple fusion ? There is a limit of about res of 300 at "normal sized systems"- otherwise it crashes. But 2.0 will solve this problem. (Simple needs much more memory than poisson)

If you use poisson, there are limits too (simply the memory of the PC). So if you fuse to many to high resoluted meshes, poisson also may fail. I had no problems fusing up to 17 meshes at 920x780 with res 600

So: how many scans? which resolution? How many vertices? What` s the memory of your PC....? Other progs running?

Gunter

Edit: Reading your question again, I noticed, you're refering to the saving-process. I don´t know a bug - do you own a license (you cann´t save fused meshes without)?
MagWeb

Postby jharrison » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:17 am

I'm sitting at about 18 scans - 920x780 with poisson res @ 600, and my system has 4GB of Ram

Each scan model is probably averaging about 75000 verts. (For the initial scan I was having a problem saving), but I did another test where I only used about 10 of the scans and it was still having a problem saving.

I will be sure to check the Task Manager and shut down any operations I do not need before running DAVID as well as test slightly lower poisson resolutions (though I'd rather not take that route given the detail I am attempting to achieve).

If you can think of any other suggestions feel free to send them my way.

Tomorrow I plan on doing some tests to see just what I can get working, so I will post if I happen to have any luck.

Thank you, as always. :)

(P.S. I plan on doing a re-topology in zBrush, unwrapping the UVs in Maya, and creating a texture by hand in Photoshop, but I will for sure be looking into 2.0 when it comes out 8) )

-J
jharrison

Postby MagWeb » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:55 am

Hi,

you could try to simplify the single meshes running the "quadric edge collapse decimation filter" of Meshlab. If you apply the filter one time with its default settings, you reduce the filesize without significant loss of details.

But it's the saving- not the fusionprocess that causes trouble right?

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby jharrison » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:53 pm

Yes, it is the actual saving of the file that causes error.

I will try using that filter in Meshlab today during my testing, hopefully that works :)

Thank you!

-J
jharrison

Postby MagWeb » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:21 am

Good morning,

did you try to save as *.stl or *.ply?

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby jharrison » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:35 pm

Good point, I will try that today.

The next step for me was to take the model into zBrush which only supports .obj, but I could use MeshLab as a middle man to export an .obj if Shapefusion will not do it.

Thanks! :D
jharrison

Postby MagWeb » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:12 am

Hi

At the end you succeeded!
See:

How did you do it, what caused your problems?
please report

Gunter
MagWeb

Return to Shape Fusion