Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Refuses to fuse

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

Re: Refuses to fuse

Postby Sven » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:36 am

Since you are using 32-bit version, memory fragmentation can occur. That means that after some time (and some Fusions), DAVID cannot allocate a large memory block for a new Fusion (e.g. with 1000). You could try to save all aligned scans, then close DAVID, restart it (so it has fresh memory), load the scans and immediately Fuse with 1000.
Of course my recommendation is: Switch to 64-bit Windows 7 or 8. There memory fragmentation won't be relevant.

There is no difference between DAVID started from USB or HDD.

Also graphics memory can be an issue. What graphics card do you have, with how much RAM?

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby KNSCI » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:41 am

The 1000 Resolution setting just doesn't seem to work, and the 700 and 500 are hit-or-miss. Sometimes the red progress bar goes partway and stops, with the fusion text remaining but nothing happens, even after letting it sit for half an hour.
Are the computer specs above the issue?
There's no error message or anything, just nothing apparent happening.
Thanks for any ideas.
I'm trying to print one of the closed fusions saved as an stl.
KNSCI

Postby Sven » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:27 am

Maybe 1000 requires just too much RAM. Please try a computer with 64-bit Windows, and 64-bit DAVID.
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby KNSCI » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:12 pm

Thanks Sven, sorry for the delayed reply, got busy with some 3D printing work.

The friend who loaned the machine we're using now should be providing our original pc soon with 64-bit Win7, so hope that will take care of it. Don't recall its or the loaner's graphics card specs.

In VMWare Fusion 6 on my Mac, I have Win7 64-bit and only 2GB memory assigned and it fused at 1000/closed in about 90 seconds, saving the result as obj stalled at about 80% after crunching for about 2 minutes; looked again after another 5 min or so and it was done. Saving stl took only about 45 seconds. Will bump up the memory there to 4GB or more and see how it works. The fuse result looked good on screen but then I tried to open it with other fuses at lower settings and the one done on the mac was visual gibberish, white, brown, black triangles and other shapes, not the quite-nice-looking earlier version.

I'm not a software developer so I'm not sure how hard it would be to have DAVID present a warning or error message when it encounters memory fragmentation, with an option to cancel, clear the memory, etc., but as a user, that would be mighty fine to see that instead of not knowing, and seeing the 'Fusing Scans...' with no red bar or any other indication of activity or error.

Anyway, thanks, now I have a better feel for what the issue may be and if DAVID gets unresponsive, I'll think about quitting it and re-launching.
KNSCI

Previous

Return to Shape Fusion