[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - minimum computer system reqirements
Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

minimum computer system reqirements

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

minimum computer system reqirements

Postby MrPete » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:05 am

I've been having computer issues trying to run shapefusion, my PC it was on died after scanning, before fusing files. Then I tried running it on a macbook and as the file size grows the response speed slows to a crawl to the point of going nowhere. Replaced the dead PC with a new one - Dell Vostro 200 with 1GB ram and integrated video (no accelerated video card). The new PC "Dell" can call up some combined files that were done on the macbook but go to do any kind of manipulation such as spin, save as, etc get and unexpected error.

The scans were done at 1600 x 1200 and there are 40 to combine so the files are getting rather large. So large file size is a contributor.

Here are my questions:

Is there a way of eliminating overlapped points from combining multiple scan objects to minimize file size?

Saving in different fashions doesn't seem to effect file size, am I doing something wrong?

I've read the unexpected error is related to video or main memory, is there a minimum required to run this reasonably fast or even just run?

Which will have a bigger effect on getting this running, system RAM or video acceleration/memory?
Attachments
fusion question1.jpg
MrPete

Postby MagWeb » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:56 am

MagWeb

Postby leo » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:52 am

leo

Postby MrPete » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:15 pm

MrPete

Postby MagWeb » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:20 pm

MagWeb

Postby MrPete » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:55 pm

MrPete

hi

Postby hal » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:08 pm

hal

Postby MagWeb » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:47 pm

MagWeb

Postby MrPete » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:02 pm

MrPete

Postby MagWeb » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:35 pm

Hi again

Calculating the linewidth by eye is a very subjective thing:

I see my laser being about 1mm. WalterMo has measured the same type of laser LC 650-5-3F at 0,23mm at a distance of 0,5m:

see

But I think there could be some tolerances too.

Until now you´ve to get some feeling...

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby MrPete » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:39 am

Magweb,

Fascinating stuff on how to measure the laser line width, WalterMo's work is outstanding along with his documentation of the process used.

Rather than testing the beam width decided to try testing scan results given the beam I have at different resolutions. From that make a judgement call on results by feature definition and file size.

Look at the edges of the V shaped feature towards the top of the scans and the ribs contained therein for a good comparison of the quality.
Attachments
060508SCANS.jpg
MrPete

Postby MagWeb » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:51 am

Hi MrPete

thanks for this comparison.
From res 640x480 to 960x720 your filesize growed 66% and the notable differences are only small.
According to my maths, the ideal linewidth should be 0,23mm in res 640 and 0.15 in res 960 (the part is about 110mm).The real linewidth should be far over that in both cases. (perhaps we need to add a factor to that rule)

It would be interesting to complete the comparison with changed relations at the same res. Means: Scanning the same object in half and total (increased distance object/cam) . There you should see more differences comparing the same objectregion.

Idea to get the linewidth: Why don´t we simply count the pixels our line enlights in camview (by enlarging a shot)? Pixel x mm/pixel = laserlinewidth

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby MrPete » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:08 am

Magweb,

Funny you mention this it was next on my to try list.

It would be interesting to complete the comparison with changed relations at the same res. Means: Scanning the same object in half and total (increased distance object/cam) . There you should see more differences comparing the same object region.

I believe it was you who had suggested filling the viewable area with the obect to scan to get the best resolution possible. A while back had the object nearly fill the screen and cover the backgound and had isssues with the laser line dropping out, have been assuming there was insufficient length to determine the reference line and as such increased the background size slightly to provide a little more boundary around the object.

Seeing the current counter intuitive results (lower resolution providing better results) need to take a better look at what I'm doing. Perhaps the issue with the laser line not being detected wasn't that I didn't leave enough boundary around the model but the camera settings instead, it was there but he camera as configured just did not see it????

I've been scanning the forums to see if anyone had sugested settings for the camera I'm using - logitech Pro 9000, at the moment it like everything else here is trial and error.

For a laugh thought I'd post a picture of the "scrap" scanner made up primarily of scraps from the workshop and friends junk drawers
Attachments
Slide1.jpg
MrPete

Postby MagWeb » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:57 pm

MagWeb

Postby MrPete » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:52 pm

Magweb,

(yes we're way off topic but it is a good evolution of process implementation)

I started setting up to test different working depths on the camera and quickly realized that my setup is not very friendly in this regard. Going longer it quickly picks up all sorts of exraneous points (threaded rod on the framewok, dark area beyond the background and hole in the floor of the scanner setup) for calibration and end up chasing what it thinks are calibrqation workpoints and playing with camera settings trying to eliminate false target points. Moving the camera in quickly move past the calibration points and require a new reduced scale background to work with and am near the minimum working width for what i'm scanning now.

That being said am going to try experimenting with what is readily adjustable at the moment to improve the scans.

I entered the values you had linked to for the camera settings and was picking up ghost pixellation off the model and tried adjusting the settings, ended up with a brightness setting of 1194 where you had 5020 to eliminate the ghosts but i'm still getting reflection off the model as you had noted. I'm going to spray the model with a white primer my son used on his warcraft figures - very fine mist, doesn't buildup on the surface and is quite flat in finish. After that am going to play with camera settings to get the best effect.
MrPete

Next

Return to Shape Fusion