Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Alignment of scans

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

Alignment of scans

Postby umbalkos » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:00 pm

I am fairly new to the SLS and have only been working with it for a few days but I seem to still have one major problem. When I scan an object, getting about 8 scans as I turn it around its y-axis, every time I try to align these scans they never turn out. Some of them align properly but then others seem to just jump to some random location. Because of this I am not able to get an actual fused model because the scans are never aligning properly. What could be the problem with this? Does it have to do with calibration? Any advice on the subject would be great because I am testing this product for my company and I want to get accurate results to show them.

Stefan
umbalkos

Re: Alignment of scans

Postby WalterMo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:08 am

Stefan,

Have a look to this site, maybe it can help you:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4699&p=23362&hilit

I had used a motor driven turntable but something similar and turned by hand should also work. Draw 45° marks on the platform edge and „tell“ DAVID this used angle.

Can you post a photo and screen shots? Some objects, mainly those without a noticeable structure, are difficult to align for DAVID. But here you see that it also works for a simple energy saving lamp:
viewtopic.php?p=8326#p8326

Walter
WalterMo

Re: Alignment of scans

Postby umbalkos » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:05 pm

Thanks Walter, I'll try to get some screenshots up as soon as possible, I don't have access to the equipment until next week so it might be a little while. I have a feeling that my calibration corner is potentially one of the reasons why the alignment isn't working exactly how I want. I used a box and set the calibration panels on either side of one of the corners. I did a bit of reading and realized that one of the key steps is getting the calibration corner as precise as possible. Before my next scans I will be working on getting a perfect 90 degrees and also make sure that the distance between the markers is accurate as well.

I'll post screen shots of my next session which should include the scans themselves as well as the final alignment.

Stefan
umbalkos

Return to Shape Fusion