Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Align scan tricks

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

Align scan tricks

Postby xoxu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:34 pm

Hello

I have to scan a propeller 1.20m but with better resolution
For this, I scan small parts of the helix and recombines after I
The problem with a propeller is that you do not have a lot of angles or surfaces particular and you can not accurately align all parties

I am trying to test something:
I put dot sticker about 8mm in diameter to many different places and each scan must see 3 points to realign with the texture after

The question is: someone has a better method to do this?

Xoxu
xoxu

Re: Align scan tricks

Postby L.J.P.S » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:36 pm

hello xoxu
I'v similar problems: I'm trying to scan a spoiler of a car, and till now I dont have a good result.
The object has the form of a half moon about 70cmx30cmx9cm. I'm scanning with a callibration panel of 320mm scale and that's not big enough. I'v to scan it in parts.
The object is so smooth and round that till now its unpossible to align correct and in fusion there are always lines of the different scan plains.
I restarted the project but then I had a lot of distortion: the scans were bending: not flat. But now I've a better lens and I soon restart again.
I think the best way is to scan together with the propeller somme long rod that is laying parrallel with it (that is what I will do in my next test) do you have a photo?
An other possibility is to make scans on different scales, but I'm not yet familiar with this methode.
The other trics I use are those of Walter (and others): if possible I scan with some bit of the border of the turntable, or for smaller objects I put them
on some placticine (or clay), as amorf as possible and scan this with.
I also used targets that I glued on the model (round rings of metal or plastic: similar as your Idea) : but this dont work. (dont blame David, Simon or Sven: the alignment and fusion is very good and its not possible to make an Alogarithme that is the solution for al sorts of possibilities)
Alinging objects with identical geometrical forms is also very difficult , same for objects wiht a symmitry or mirroring elements...(but that you can find
some where in wiki-david or in the forum.
And for scanning the edges I obtained good results with bordering those edges as near as possible with black paper or a black tissue

regards
Luc
Attachments
MiniTest01.jpg
L.J.P.S

Postby xoxu » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:08 am

Hello LJPS

Sorry for the delay, I had a distortion problem, but now it's good.
I did many tests with adhesive pad, it works but not very well, the alignment is not good but the texture that I can draw is not very good either
texture.png

Now I use another method, scan object at different scales
I spend a lot of time to precisely align the part where you have details and next I scan entire and be aligned with the smal scan
Methode 2.png

i tested also the methode with the long rod parrallel with the propeller but don't work
i tested the methode with placticine but with older version of david laserscanner and didn't work but now maybe work

In this video you can see that they use balls to calibrate and a very good turntable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpxQBTrPBEg
the best it's that david scanner can calibrate a turntable like this
an other idea is to put some balls in the part to scan and tell at david laserscanner to align only the surface of balls, select the area to use for the alignement

Xoxu
xoxu

Postby WalterMo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:28 pm

At all:

It seems that Luc (L.J.P.S) has died. Here is the announcement of death posted by Darky135 (Jan 20th):
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5433&p=25705#p25705

Unfortunately we didn't get a confirmation of Darky135 on request.

Walter
WalterMo

Postby Darky135 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:32 pm

I'm sorry for my late answer.. I had a busy week, so I'm sorry for that.
Hereby is my comfirmation that Luc realy died the 20th January.. He was 63 years old.
I went to his funeral and it was realy sad :( .

When the time comes, I'll try to put some work of him online, so you could see it.
If anyone has more questions, you allways can send me a PM.

Grtz

Benoit
Darky135

Return to Shape Fusion