Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

HELP with fusing - please

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

HELP with fusing - please

Postby derHenry » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:19 am

Hi friends,

David 3.5 works very fine but this moment I have the following problem:

I was scanning with SL on a turntable (Y-axis 22.5 degree) and tried some possibilities to align. But some of the scans don´t fit. Trying to align with 22.5 degrees y-axis or aligning free etc. - nothing could give me fitting results. The first 3 scans fit but the next don´t.

The scans are on my internet-cloud: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B_y1b ... 1WeGs/edit in the folder "David 35".

Please can you help me and tell me what I am doing wrong?

der Henry :(
derHenry

Re: HELP with fusing - please

Postby Khalid Khattak » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:54 am

You have distortion in scans. They will never be aligned perfectly.i :? have the same issue
PC: Dell Inspiron i3, 2.27GHz,4GB RAM,64 bit windows 7
CAMERA:
David CCD Mono USB
LASER:
David 5mW Green line laser
PROJECTOR:
3D LED Mini Projector 250lumens, Native 1024x600
[b]http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/
Khalid Khattak

Postby derHenry » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:25 pm

Sorry, I forgot my hardware details:

Projector: NEC NP310G
Lumens: 2200 ANSI
Contrast 2000:1
Native: 1024x768
Zoom 1.2:1

Camera: Chameleon (PointGrey)
• Sony ICX445 CCD, 1/3", 3.75 µm
• Global Shutter
• 1296x964 at 18 FPS

derHenry
derHenry

Postby WalterMo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:38 pm

Hello derHenry,

Strange that 3 positions work and the next not.
Is it a new problem with 3.5.1? Did it work with 3.4.0? Have you tested bigger angle increments, e.g. at 45°? Were the z-axis of the turntable and the inner edge of the calibration corner precisely vertical?

Walter
WalterMo

Postby derHenry » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:48 pm

Hello Walter,

thank you for answer. I will give it a try to use a bigger angle 45°. The z-axis and the inner corner of the calibration board could be not exact in right angle because the figure was glued to a thin metal stick which is moving if you blow against it. So this could really be a problem.

So I will try your ideas - thank you very much in advance!!!

derHenry :idea:
derHenry

Postby WalterMo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:31 am

Important is that the turntable axis (Y-axis) and the inner corner long edge are in parallel.
See the sketch here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4699&p=23362&hilit

Also important is that the figure cannot move during scanning. A stable holder should be used. But the figure can stand crooked. :wink:

Walter
WalterMo

Postby WalterMo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:55 pm

Today I have tested version 3.5.1 regarding alignment around y-axis and it worked fine.

The object was a colourful plastic toy from my grandson Mats. Easy to scan on the turntable. I scanned only at 8 positions à 45°.
Camera: Pro9001 at 800x600 pixels, projector: Acer K11.

If you are interested in the workflow, so let me know.

Walter
Attachments
Baer Aligned OT.jpg
Aligned around y-axis
Baer fused MT.jpg
Fused
WalterMo

Postby derHenry » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:10 pm

Hello Walter,

thank you very much for help. Yes I would be happy to know the workflow. This could help.

Today I did some tests but with less success.

Regards
derHenry
derHenry

Postby WalterMo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:47 pm

Here it is, the workflow of my last turntable scan.

On the attached photo you can see the setup. Its state is after camera and projector calibration. To avoid scanning of the wallpaper behind the object I have placed a black cloth on the wall.

Enable texturing (if it is wished) by a hook on DAVID's 'Hardware Setup' side.
Before removing the calibration corner after camera- and projector calibration simply make a scan of the calibration corner walls and see if the SL settings are OK.

Then remove the corner and put the turntable with the object at the same place.
If you let the table later on rotate clockwise (from bird view), you have to set the used angle increment in Shape Fusion as a positive value for the 'Rotation Angle'. Otherwise you have to set the value as a negative one.
If DAVID should do automatic capturing of the texture after each scan then set a hook for 'Auto. grab texture'.

Do the first object scan and save it with its angle position in the file name (only a tip).
Let the table turn for e.g. 45°. Do the second scan, save it and so on.

After all 8 scans are made and saved, goto Shape Fusion, load each scan again and clean it, means delete all unwanted parts by the mouse. For this work it's better if you switch the texture off. Do this by pressing the 't' key. (Another push on the same key will switch it on again). You can find the "cleaning tool" in Shape Fusion in the top line, designation 'Selection'. Click on the small triangle below 'Selection' and choose one of the three possibility tools. A tip: Start with the rectangle selection, but play with all three. Then red enlighten the button just left beside. Mark with the left mouse button that part of the scan which shall be deleted. When you let the LMB free, this part will be red enlightened (Drag and drop). Delete it then by clicking on the red X (right beside). The Polygon Selection works a bit different: Draw an arbitrary formed polygon by clicking at each vertex with the LMB. Then, to confirm it, press the RMB. The chosen part becomes red. Delete it with the X. At the end you can disable the tool by clicking again on the symbol (not on the X). After each scan is cleaned, save it again (best by a a bit different file name).

Now we have do to a simple job, means to watch how DAVID does its „Alignment around the y-axis“.
Load the first (0° position) scan. Then load the next, the 45° scan. Choose 'Rotation around y-axis' and set the 'Rotation Angle' = 45°. You don't have to change this value during the following procedure!! Don't set a hook for 'Use Texture' (for alignment).

Click on 'Align Scans'. Two windows pop up: 'Scan A' and 'Scan B'. Fill the second (45°) scan in the 'Scan A' window and the 0° scan in the 'Scan B' window. This you can do by first clicking on the empty window and then click on the file name at top right (List of Scans). When the second window is filled with the file name, DAVID immediately align both scans. Is the result OK?

If you had chosen the 'wrong' file name, you can click on the undo button (right beside the 'Align Scans' button).

Now load scan number 3 (90°).
Click on 'Align Scans'. Fill in the field 'Scan A' the name of this third scan. Fill in field 'Scan B' the name of the second (45°) scan. Result OK again?

Continue in this way until all 8 scans are aligned. Never change the set angle (45°). Then, for a final alignment, choose 'Global Fine Registration'. Press 'Align Scans' and the 8 scans will be „shaken“ to their best position to each other.
Now you can start the fusion. When it appears, switch the texture on again. Satisfied with the result? :D or :( ? X69GHY

Walter
Attachments
Setup BaerScan2.jpg
WalterMo

Postby derHenry » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:48 pm

Hello Walter,

thanks a lot for the help. This moment i am in bed because of a little illness. So I can study your workflow. As soon as I am on my feet I will test it and give a feedback!

Thank you my David-friend :P :D :wink:

derHenry
derHenry

Postby interactneo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:34 am

hi,derHenry,very glad to see you.
in the other topic .I see you use the point grey cam,could you tell me how to connect with David3.I have a pointgrey too.but in the David3,you cant see it in the cam source .
interactneo

Return to Shape Fusion