[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - Before and After - Problem with Shapefusion
Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Before and After - Problem with Shapefusion

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

Before and After - Problem with Shapefusion

Postby epiphanyp7a » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:01 am

Hi,

I am currently scanning a lady's shoe. For detail during fusion, I am following Hal's example of fusing scans as parts. This means that I've turned 18 textured scans into 4 textured fused scans. Below is a view of what the 4 scans look like before under going a second round of fusion.

shoe.PNG

Now the problem is when I try to fuse the remaining 4 scans into a single textured scan, I get the following result....

shoe2.PNG

I am fusing everything at Poisson 2000, but if you notice, in the final scan (which is full of holes) the textures also disappear. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug in the way that David handles the fusion of textured scans which undergo fusion a second time?
epiphanyp7a

Re: Before and After - Problem with Shapefusion

Postby Sven » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:30 am

Hi,
I think you should not Fuse a scan which has already been Fused.
Especially with textured scans: DAVID simply is not able to create a fused texture if one of the scans already has a fused texture. :(

I'm not sure which example of Hal you mean... Anyway you can work with separate groups of scans, which you align separately, and then align the groups later.
You can use the "Combine" function in DAVID to combine several aligned scans into one. But I would recommend to do that only temporarily, because if you SAVE a group to one OBJ, the textures will get lost. So before saving, you should "Un-Combine" first.

I hope this helps.
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Re: Before and After - Problem with Shapefusion

Postby epiphanyp7a » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:25 pm

Hi Sven,

Thanks, I think I could use Meshlab in the meantime to flatten separate scans that have already been fused in Shapefusion.

I was trying to follow Hal's advice in the "Scanning with panels" article on the wiki. Within it he provides the following instructions

"I've divided the sculpture in some parts, because I have a moderate amount of RAM on my pc (only 4Gb). So If I want to fuse at a value of 1000-1200 with the ShapeFusion Poisson fusion method, and avoid PC crashes, I need to reduce the total amount of the polygons and divide the scans into groups: Hair, Beard, Face, Bust and Base. In this way I can keep the final amount of details high as I want.
As first step, I've saved all the aligned scans and reduced their triangle density of the 25-30%, with the software MeshLab. After that, I've imported again all the scans into David and divided into the groups (selected and erased the areas out one group, saved the remaining scans - process repeated for each group).
When I had the groups, I've fused them separately. Then, I've combined all the meshes into a single 3D object."

I guess the problem I'm having is that i'm trying to fuse textured scans, while Hal was fusing normal scans... or Hal is fusing only once and keeping the groups separate but aligned. Basically, I'm trying to replicate the detail that Hal captures in textured scans such as download/file.php?id=5138&mode=view
epiphanyp7a

Return to Shape Fusion