Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Mesh optimize - high resolution scans, retopology

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

Mesh optimize - high resolution scans, retopology

Postby Kitamo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi,

I was wondering how it's possible for U (specialy looking on Hal's scans) to make fusion results with so high resolution (?)
All the time when i try to use Possion i can set resolution max to 600, above that i got message that i have not enough memory.

Can u guys make some easy tutorial about easy-way retopology and how to optimize meshes in shapefusion to get a high resolution results with algined parts of object ?

I try feew times to optimize scaned meshes but dunt know how to do it good and if this will depend on accuracy when I will try to algine mesh in shapefusion.
I will be glad if someone will try to explain in feew steps how You guys do this and what methods u have for that (and what software you use). :)
Kitamo

Re: Mesh optimize - high resolution scans, retopology

Postby WalterMo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:47 pm

On this site you can read (a bit) how Mattia (hal) has fused his scans:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=534

Specially in his post of Jun 20th.

But first of all you should increase the memory, I think to min. 4 GB.
WalterMo

Postby Kitamo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:44 pm

Well i read some of Mattia posts and there is alot of info :) and many new ideas for me, but i bet that many ppl have alot of ideas how do this in other way.

I have 8GB of memory but David use only 3GB max (its 32 bit program) so anyway it will be still not enough memory when u wanna make highres object
Kitamo

Postby hal » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:19 am

Hello Kitamo,

I'm glad that my little experience help you and other people, here.
Sincerly, I have only one big trick, to fuse and save all the single scan's details: I divide the model in many parts.
If you looking to the Walter's suggested link or to my tutorial on the Wiki pages, you can see that I work with only 4Gb of Ram, but that I can cut the objects/the scans first to fuse them.

Do you remember my firsts Action figures scans? they were scanned and fused a piece after other piece (head, arms, legs...). So I can keep hight the resolution.
If you scan a big statue, for example, you can align all the scans and, first to fuse, to divide in several parts. Simply load all the aligned scans, remove with lazo selection the portions of the mesh that you don't want to fuse, and after fuse (on my laptop I usually fuse at 1024-1280 Poisson value). When you have done the first fusion, save it and close David (just to clean the ram memory) and re-load all the aligned scans. Cut an other piece and do again the fusion. And so and so in this way.
Take in mind to keep a common area between two selections, just to avoid a bad junction.

Hope this helps,
Mattia
hal

Postby Kitamo » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:26 pm

Hi,

Thx fo that info. I was trying feew days ago to use that idea with dividing object for parts but that was hard :) I think problem was that that I got not enough good scans (it was very hard to scan objec with multicolour textures).
I just need to find strategy to do it just fast.
If You want make some screenshots of progress in your next scans and what you do :) U can put them on forum and it will be better than thousand of words :)

What about retopology in external programs (like zbrush or meshlab) , there is any good automated system to do that or its always manual mode ?
Kitamo

Postby hal » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:47 pm

Hello,

well, unfortunately, in this period, I can't post nothing here, because I'm working for some clients and they don't want that I publish the scan results. But I hope to do new personal works soon and to post something new in the forum.
About your question, if you aim to an automated retopology, you can have a look over Geomagic or similar software, dedicated to the post processing of 3D scans.
But I suggest to do the job by hand: the human head is the only "software" that can create a real logic and good new topology of the mesh, because we can decide where to have more details and only we knowns the final destination of the mesh (rendering, animation, real time contents,...).
For manual retopology I suggest 3D Coat, ZBrush or a good plug-in for 3D Studio Max called Wrapit.

Mattia
hal

Return to Shape Fusion