Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by the end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Strategies to fuse

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

Strategies to fuse

Postby MagWeb » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:16 am

Hello everyone,

Shapefusion for me is the most unknown aspect of DAVID.There is only a few information.
So I´m going to concentrate my focus on this item for the next time, with the aim to summarize in DAVIDWIKI.

I think a successful fusion depends much on the way you treat the single meshes before fusing them.

What are your strategies to do?

Do you interpolate or smooth the rough scans? How do you handle "bad linkings" (uncorrect surfaces visible in interpolated, smoothed scans, but also in rough ones)?
- I filter these bad linkings using Meshlab (erase triangles bigger than...)

How do you handle many partial scans? Do you load all and try to allign them, or do you load only two, fuse them, add the next, fuse them...?

How do you deal with holes in the meshes?

What fusion method and which settings do you prefer?

When do you prefer to save as single mesh instead of fusion result?

Simply: Please discribe your way to fuse

Thanks
Gunter
MagWeb

Re: Strategies to fuse

Postby Sven » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:37 pm

Interesting topic, great idea to collect best approaches - I assume some things will depend on the properties of the scanned object.
Just one thing I want to say:
MagWeb wrote:How do you handle many partial scans? Do you load all and try to allign them, or do you load only two, fuse them, add the next, fuse them...?

I think I can say that Fusion should ALWAYS be done as ONE LAST step. You should avoid to use fused data for further alignment.
Reminder: In Shapefusion it is possible save objects - after registration - in their new positions. Each for themselves or as a group. You should use this feature if you plan to add more scans later, so you do not have to align the old ones again.
Sven
DAVID Developer

shapefusing

Postby hal » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:00 pm

salve a tutti,

good work to all! now david may have a great future.

reading sven's reply, a questuion: i can save, after align, the single mesh aligned, but how can i save a group of mesh, in one clik?

time ago i wrote about a tool for moving and rotate object in 3d vewport of shapefusion. for moving ok, thanks for reply, but i think can be usefull a similar tool for rotete mesh in the scene. this can be reduce the "fine registration" process and relative errors.

thanks and bye
PC: DELL Alienware 17, Intel I7-4710MQ, 32 Gb Ram, AMD Radeon R9 M290X 4GB.
SO: Win 8.1 64Bit.
CAMs: USB 3.0 CMOS B/N (1280x960, 60 fps).
LENS: 12 mm.
PROJECTOR: DAVID SLS1 ACER K11.
hal

Postby MagWeb » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:52 am

Hi Hal

-if you have alligned (and grouped) ALL loaded meshes, click "save", choose " as single file" and enter.
-if you have alligned (and grouped) only four out of five( or more), erase the fith and store as above.

Umpf- I´m at Mac-OS- can´t start David but if I remember right:
Click LMB at scan to select
STRG+LMB = Move the selected scan
STRG+RMB = Rotate the selected scan

And giottos campanile - still standing?

Gunter
Last edited by MagWeb on Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MagWeb

weight of scans

Postby MagWeb » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:24 am

@ S&S:

Imagine:
If I ´ve a wonderfull scan and a necessary but rather bad scan ( for I get this surface only out of a bad intersection angle) is this method a possibility to strengthen the weight of the wonderfull one:
Loading the wonderfull scan two ( or more) times and grouping them. After this is done, loading the bad one only once and fuse.

Will the quantity a scan is loaded affect the weight while fusing?

bye
Gunter
MagWeb

Postby Sven » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:36 pm

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the quantity will not affect the fusion result.
In fusion, the data are stored in a binary 3d array, it should not make a difference how often one scan is added.

EDIT 2007-10-24, 12:35:
Sorry, I was wrong... :oops: I've talked to Simon who knows the fusion algorithms much better than I do. The quantity SHOULD affect the fusion result, so yes, Gunter, your idea should work. Have you tried it?
Sven
DAVID Developer

I didn't know that

Postby erniej » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:46 pm

I didn't know that I can use CTRL + LMB and CTRL + RMB to rotate and move individual scaned objects after I do an "arrangement". I was going crazy trying to lign up the scans for a model of a 1957 Ford I was doing. Aligning scans after cleaning up bad linking was a real pain in the ass also. This is beautiful. What a program.

erniej
erniej

just a follow up

Postby erniej » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:39 pm

I tried the CTRL + LMB and CTRL + RMB and even though they worked great at moving and rotating my scans the bad linking is still a problem for me. After I use MeshLab to clean up my scans there does not appear to be enough left of the origional scan to do a proper fine registration or free alignment.

Back to the drawing board.

erniej
erniej

Return to Shape Fusion