Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by the end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

struggling with alignment

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

struggling with alignment

Postby moog » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:29 am

these scans aren't aligning properly, it aligns the spherical shape in the middle, but won't rotate the outside for a proper alignment, i can't pick points easily for a manual alignment because one is in front of the other, i need to be able to manually move / pan the scans separately as meshlab does, any tips appreciated.
It takes me so long to get some scans to align, by the time i get to try shape fusion, its nearly time to shut down, I'm still on the free version until i can successfully do it
Attachments
sf1.jpg
LC532-5-3-F(16x65), BenQ PB8220 DLP Projector, logitec quickcam PRO9001, Casio EX-FH20
moog

Re: struggling with alignment

Postby funtasma » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:16 pm

Well, I know what you are talking about. Sometimes it can drive you crazy. Two hints but you probaply know them allready:

1a. If too many layers are covering each other, then just hide some you don't need for the moment. In ShapeFusion you have the checkboxes in front of the file names. Just uncheck the ones you don't need and they will not disturb you anymore. This way you can align two parts more easy in the "manual alignment" mode.

1b. You can also combine some layers which are well aligned already and use them as a combined part to align another missing scan. Most of the time it helps you to find more matching points for your manual alignment. Later you can un-combine them again by right clicking the combined file in the list and chose un-combine in the menu that pops up.

2. Free turning of single parts. Often it helps to turn a single part completely free just by mouse. Just mark a part by clicking on it. Keep the mouse button down and press Ctrl key on your keyboard. now you move only that single marked scan, while the others stay untouched. Bring it as good as possible in relation to the target one and then try if fine registration is of help for even better alignment.

This is how I managed to align my last relatively complex scan as well in I would guess 45 minutes alltogether:

cream.jpg

-Benjamin-
funtasma

Postby moog » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:53 am

thanks for the reply Ben, the ctrl key helps alot.
I've downloaded Matia's mask scans to practice on, it's not easy as auto align often doesn't work, so i use the ctrl key to manually do it then only use global fine, then i fused them , the show scans looks like the 1st pic, and show fusion is the 2nd pic, is this right? why is not much visible?
Attachments
mask1.jpg
mask2.jpg
LC532-5-3-F(16x65), BenQ PB8220 DLP Projector, logitec quickcam PRO9001, Casio EX-FH20
moog

Postby hal » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:57 pm

Hello moog,

But are you sure that you have correctly imported into ShapeFusion the Mask's scans?
Seems to me that the mesh resolution is too much low :roll:
And the one of the aligned scans seems deformed...?
Are you sure that you didn't loaded them from the "3D Laser Scanning" windows?

I've tried to load the test scans with a Free version of ShapeFusion and all goes fine, as expected.

MatM_FreeVersionAlignmentTest.jpg

Mattia
hal

Postby moog » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:31 am

Mattia,
You're right i loaded them in thru the 3D laser scanning window, it looks better from the shape fusion window.... thanks
Attachments
mask3.jpg
moog

Return to Shape Fusion