Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

solid bodies ??

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

solid bodies ??

Postby moog » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:41 am

Since finding this site about 4 day's ago, i have been reading,reading,reading,reading, (etc, etc)........this is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT (i know i'm not the first one to say this).
So, I've started to order bits and getting ready to give it a go...

My use for the scanning is as an aid to Solid modelling, particularly reverse engineering. (NX6), the problem is that .stl files are not very workable and would only be useable as reference, this is still useful, but it would be better if i could produce ; step files, parasolid files, or iges files.
Can shape fusion or meshlab do this, or should i use something else such as rhino?
Please suggest any programs you can think of, and if it could join/simplify the mesh, for example if the part has flat surfaces etc.
Thanks.......
LC532-5-3-F(16x65), BenQ PB8220 DLP Projector, logitec quickcam PRO9001, Casio EX-FH20
moog

Re: solid bodies ??

Postby RAYA » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:09 pm

Hi

You can import your scan in meshlab and edit it there, to minimize it`s file volume you should decimate it,after that
export it as DXF and import DXF in NX6.

Ray
RAYA

Postby moog » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:07 am

Ray,
Thanks, i tried your suggestion but it imports much the same as the .stl except the resolution was much coarser, but still not very selectable.
Also i tried Rhino but it won't output in anything but .stl , otherwise it says polygon mesh not compattable with output type.
I guess i need something to convert the mesh to a surface (if that's possible)
LC532-5-3-F(16x65), BenQ PB8220 DLP Projector, logitec quickcam PRO9001, Casio EX-FH20
moog

Postby RAYA » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:28 pm

Hi

NX is a <class A> cad/cam/cae software if you have installed it fully you can do what you want with mesh.

There is many module in full nx AS I remember .

As CATIA and Pro/engineerin, NX also has Autosurface command ,you should find that.

These three software are not designed for reverse engineering field (same as Geomagic,polywork and Rapidform xor) ,but you can do many with them.

If you have any more question I will glad to hear.

Let me know if you intended to cnc machine your scan.

Ray
RAYA

Postby moog » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:38 am

Ray,
You're correct, there is a command which i can use which will change a surface to conform to a scan surface, but i was hoping to use the raw scan as a surface to avoid this step.
I have various things i want to scan, and it is possible that i will need to machine some parts
moog

Postby RAYA » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:07 pm

Hi

It is possible to have GCODE out in NX ,but first you should convert your scan to CAD model.

Some use scan to reach the CAD model and some Use scan as reference to draw a CAD model which compate with it.

Ray
RAYA

Return to Shape Fusion