Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

ROTATION AROUND AXIS OR PLANE NORMAL VECTORs

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

ROTATION AROUND AXIS OR PLANE NORMAL VECTORs

Postby RAYA » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:30 pm

Hi

I really didn`t check the rotation around axis in shape fusion ,but if rotation around Y axis means only Y axis
this make it useless,in the other word rotation around XZ (plane) normal vectors, which are not a single axis
can be more useful.

So we need ROTATION AROUND XY NORMAL VECTORS
ROTATION AROUND XZ NORMAL VECTORS
ROTATION AROUND YZ NORMAL VECTORS
instead of rotation around X ,Y ,Z axis.

This ofcourse need some more sophisticated algoritm.

RAYA
RAYA

Re: ROTATION AROUND AXIS OR PLANE NORMAL VECTORs

Postby Simon » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:14 pm

Hi Raya,
you are right, the terms "rotation arround x/y/z axis" are somewhat misleading. I think DAVID works exactly as you proposed:
In DAVID "Rotation arround y axis" means that the rotation axis is parallel to the y axis. So the rotation angle around the y-axis and the translation in x- and z- direction is unknow and are calculated by DAVID.
We should correct these terms in the future.
Thank you for the hint!
Simon
DAVID Developer

Re: ROTATION AROUND AXIS OR PLANE NORMAL VECTORs

Postby BJ64 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:54 am

I think 'Rotation Around X Axis', 'Rotation Around Y Axis', and 'Rotation Around Z Axis' are pretty self explanatory - well, to me anyway.

I think most of us do our rotations of the object being scanned around the Y axis to start with, as it's the easiest. Simply place the object in the Calibration 'V', take a scan, then rotate it around on it's base 45 degrees or so for the next scan - gravity doing it's thing to keep the object firmly in place during each scan.

Rotations around the X and Z axis would require some kind of jig to hold the object being scanned. And of course, the object must not move while the scan is taking place.

Start talking 'Rotation Around XY Normal Vectors' etc and I think you'll start confusing things even more...

Just my thoughts,

BJ :)
BJ64

Return to Shape Fusion