Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

cannot get both cameras to work in david 5.0.3

The place for questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the camera calibration.

cannot get both cameras to work in david 5.0.3

Postby rickrustyrail » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:35 pm

I received my dual camera kit and software upgrade.

Installed the new camera making sure all fitting are tight and secure.

upgraded the software to David 5.0.3 no problem and when you open the
software you can see the license is installed correctly.

But when I run the setup option

I select Custom Structured Light Setup

I connect the turntable

Projector setup is Acer K132

Frame rate none

Calibration 144.0

Then I switch on both cameras I only get one to work and what is weird is that if I move the scanner arm around
the image does not change.is like the image is frozen I cannot change focus on the screen etc.

Also on the right side of the screen under camera control you only see the one image and that is coming from the
newer camera.

So not sure what is going on. If I close the program and come back in to the program I
cannot turn the cameras on at all. I get the program not responding error until it times out.

This a Alienware machine with 32 GB ram a screamer so I do not think it is a machine problem.

OK went and rebooted the machine and reloaded the software did the setup and turned on both cameras but only
one camera gives a image (this time the older camera). But I cannot change the focus or move the
arm around the image stays frozen and unchanged and if I try and close I get program not responding.

So I force the problem to close. Then start the program up again do the setup again but when I try to turn on the
cameras the screen grays and I get program not responding.

Tried all the tricks I know at the moment. Any help would be great.

Rick
rickrustyrail

Re: cannot get both cameras to work in david 5.0.3

Postby micr0 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:42 pm

You didn't say what cameras you are using. Do you get an image with only one camera plugged in and turned on? It sounds like a system level (OS or camera driver) problem and not David. have you installed the latest camera drivers from the manufacturer? Have you looked in the Device manager to see if the cameras are installed and addressed properly in the USB bus?
µ
micr0

Postby avogra » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:45 pm

Maybe it is a USB bandwidth problem? I had a similar effect, when I connected 2 logitech webcams by a USB 2.0 hub. As soon as I plugged one of the cameras directly into the computer, everything worked fine.
Projector: Acer K11 with Achromat f=400mm | Cameras: 2x Logitech 9000 Pro with custom C-Mount body | Lenses: 1x Computar M1214-MP, 1x Computar M5018-MP, 1x Schneider-Kreuznach Cinegon CNG 1.4/12
avogra

Postby rickrustyrail » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:37 pm

Thanks for the reply

I played around with it some more and here is what I found.

If I only turn on the first camera it works I get an image and I can change focus and adjust the image on the screen.

But as soon as I turn on the second camera the picture on the screen freezes and I cannot change the image on the screen.

If turn off the second camera off I can change the focus and adjust the image on the screen.

I'm using the standard David HD cameras David-cam-4-m for both cameras

I'm not using a usb hub both cameras are directly connected to the computer usb connections.

I assume that the current drivers for the camera were installed with the upgrade software David-3 to David 5.0.3

Computer is running windows 10 64 bit

I have not looked a the device manager to see if the cameras are installed and addressed properly in the usb bus. But the David 5 software in setup sees
both cameras. I will check out the device manager now.

Again thank for any help on this
rickrustyrail

Postby rickrustyrail » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:48 pm

I checked in the device manager that both cameras show that they are working properly connected to the USB bus.
rickrustyrail

Postby rickrustyrail » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:14 pm

Another thing I found out that with the one camera turned on it work but if I leave it for a few

minutes the image on the screen becomes frozen and cannot be changed.

Also on the right of the setup form the camera controls shows the first camera and the image the

the image is red? Is that telling me it is a problem? Then when it freezes the image in the camera

control box goes gray like it is not sending a image.
rickrustyrail

Postby micr0 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:27 pm

In the advanced settings under camera there is a checkbox for "Prevent Processor Idle State". Check that box and see if it helps at all.
µ
micr0

Postby rickrustyrail » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:57 pm

I checked the 'Prevent Processor Idle state' as instructed

This did make a difference

First I was able to turn on both cameras and still adjust the focus etc on the first camera

I could still see the first image under the camera controls on the right but not see the second camera image under camera controls.

Then after a few minutes the first camera image grayed out to a gray box with a large X in it like before and I could not focus the first camera and
back to a frozen state again.

After the freeze the 'Prevent Processor Idle State' check was cleared.
rickrustyrail

Postby drndadoo » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:30 am

Hi Rick,

can you check please power plan in Windows, by default is "balanced" and you should set it to "High performance".
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Postby drndadoo » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:25 am

What version of Windows do you have? In case that you have Win10, do you have update 1607 installed?
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Postby didde » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:14 pm

I was having the same problem, Both cameras were on a USB3.0 plug put one on a USB2.0 plug and everything started working Right.
didde

Postby drndadoo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:58 am

It can be an emergency solution, but you paid USB 3.0 cam it should be used so. In your case I would test the USB 3.0 hub with external power supply.
Try to find one with good chipset (texas instruments or so..). Avoid ASmedia chipset.
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Postby rickrustyrail » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:42 pm

Sorry everyone work got busy so was unable to respond but back at it now.

First the Power Plan was set to high performance already

I have windows 10 on all my computers

I do not have the 1607 update on Windows 10 but trying to get it now.

I tried the cameras one in the 3.0 and 2.0 usb

Alright I played around with the camera settings and was able to get both cameras on and working. I changed the frame rate to 10 and both
cameras seem to be stable and adjustable. but still cannot calibrate.

Questions since I have no visual of how the program should look.

I turn on both cameras and only see one camera view in the center screen. Is this correct or should I get a stereo view of the cameras combined.
But I can change views under the camera control on the right of the form.

Next the pictures in the camera control on the right are RED? Is this correct of is it showing a problem with the red picture?

I will report back as soon as I get the 1607 installed.

Looking forward to some responses to the above questions so I know I'm moving in the right direction.

Thanks
rickrustyrail

Postby rickrustyrail » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:20 pm

OK was able after a few tries to update the Win 10 to 1607
rickrustyrail

Postby rickrustyrail » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:43 pm

Ok I played around with cameras and now I cannot keep both cameras on at the same time.

Before I went to 1607 I was able to have both cameras working at the same time.
rickrustyrail

Next

Return to Camera Calibration