Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Calibration Panel Orientation Question

The place for questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the camera calibration.

Calibration Panel Orientation Question

Postby HotRodTractor » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:02 am

Hello all! I'm definitely a noob, so bear with me as I learn the setup and operation of this fantastic equipment. I just purchased an SLS-2 and will be setting it up and starting to scan objects over the next few days.

I have some ideas for setup that I think will help me make good quality scans and do it a bit faster - the most pressing of which is how I would like to setup my calibration panels. Ultimately I will be scanning "large" objects - think engine blocks, heads, etc.... These are large and heavy. So once I set one up the part on my heavy duty manual turn table (manual operation for the moment) - I will then focus my camera and projector for the object - then I would like to set the calibration panels in FRONT of the object in a convex corner instead of the traditional concave type setup. Is this possible? Can I tweak the settings in DAVID to accept the calibration panels setup like this?

Obviously I am going to start to learn on smaller objects and using the traditional setup to get some experience.

Thanks for your help!
Jason
HotRodTractor

Re: Calibration Panel Orientation Question

Postby micr0 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:26 am

HotRodTractor wrote:Hello all! I'm definitely a noob, so bear with me as I learn the setup and operation of this fantastic equipment. I just purchased an SLS-2 and will be setting it up and starting to scan objects over the next few days.

I have some ideas for setup that I think will help me make good quality scans and do it a bit faster - the most pressing of which is how I would like to setup my calibration panels. Ultimately I will be scanning "large" objects - think engine blocks, heads, etc.... These are large and heavy. So once I set one up the part on my heavy duty manual turn table (manual operation for the moment) - I will then focus my camera and projector for the object - then I would like to set the calibration panels in FRONT of the object in a convex corner instead of the traditional concave type setup. Is this possible? Can I tweak the settings in DAVID to accept the calibration panels setup like this?

Obviously I am going to start to learn on smaller objects and using the traditional setup to get some experience.

Thanks for your help!
Jason

Hi Jason
Convex or "outside" corners are no problem, and are in fact preferred by many of us here. I too have been scanning a bunch of engine parts and have made a 2 axis turntable where the main axis of rotation is the horizontal. this is to better take advantage of the aspect ration or the camera and projector. My trunnion is adjustable for balancing the part around that axis but with that adjustability also comes the ability to quickly remove the horizontal axis (with part attached) and snap in a holder for the calibration panels. I have 250mm panels I made that seem the right size for most of the engine parts I do, though I have yet to try anything near as big as say as Cadillac 500 block. Ideally you'd want the calibration panels to be in a position where the part would be mid way between the front corner (out side panels) and the back edges.

µ

The holder for the calibration panels is on the floor to the left. I'll get a more detailed set of pictures the next time I have a chance.
Attachments
Rot1.JPG
µ
micr0

Re: Calibration Panel Orientation Question

Postby HotRodTractor » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:14 pm

Thanks for the response - I am glad to know that what I would like to do is actually common place - it seems like a solid solution that would actually put the faces of the object to be scanned closer to the calibration points - to me that seems like a win win.

I don't have it setup yet - but I have a large diameter turn table bearing that is good for about 1000lbs and has 8 equally spaced "detents" in it that I plan on using at first. If I need something more robust I'll break out my engine stand. Engine parts are just a small part of what I have planned, but a natural place to start since I have many on hand for various projects - large V8s and large inline 6 motors.

I do plan on making a set of calibration panels that are larger (probably a couple of different sizes) - but I want to get my feet wet on some smaller objects and built upon that.

I would love to see some more pictures when you get an opportunity.

Jason
HotRodTractor

Return to Camera Calibration