Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Should i do the new calibration board?

The place for questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the camera calibration.

Should i do the new calibration board?

Postby moscamara » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:36 pm

Hi All friend,
My scan is not perfect alignment in shapefusion. Is this my calibration board problem? Please you help me to solve this problem.
Thank you,
Jiraroj
Attachments
2014-10-10_0335.png
moscamara

Re: Should i do the new calibration board?

Postby moscamara » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:37 pm

This is my calibration panel.
Attachments
2014-10-10_0337.png
moscamara

Postby hunkatibor2 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:36 am

Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHZ 16GB RAM Windows 7 64bit David 4.5.0
2 Basler A622F camera 2 Tamron Asfirical AF 28-80mm lense
LG DLP Projector PF1500G Canon D40 Tokina 17-70mm 1:2.8-4,5
Humanti Calibration panel system and Alignmed&Two camera
hunkatibor2

Postby Artisan S » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:03 pm

I have made my own calibration boards and these are kinda perfect (made using a professional 3d printer and glass and printed stickers). However aligning sometimes is a pest. Aligning can be problematic if you step outside the depth of field of the camera you are using. Also if you scan "both ways" things can go haywire, better to scan a top and bottom scan and not two complete circles (around the X and Z axis of the object). Also take the David instructions serious. Don't start by scanning objects larger then your calibration board and don't overscan (fusing with a higher vertex number then what is present in your scans). Also adapt the resolution to the 3d content of you object. If it has low resolution surfaces (normal people call this smooth :-)) scanning in high resolution only creates problems. Also alligning is helped a great deal when you invest in a turntable controlled by an Arduino/Big Easy Stepper/Anti-backlash gearbox. I have invested in building such a device and scanning is gone from frustration to fun. I use "Y axis rotation allign" now and since my scans are 1/400 of dergee precise (1600 steps per revolution of the stepper and 90 revolutions for a ful turn of the table), this works like a charm.

A while I'm at it, since I scan up to 1/400 of a dregree acurate I would like to be able to allign my turntable with the camera and the beamer. Then I could loose "fine allign" steps and that would mean a lot more productivity. Especially since fine allign sometimes bites me in the "word for donkey, with three characters on of them being an A". Then textures get misalligned. So David lads an lasses that can't be to complicated to implement. A "No fine allign" checkbox would do (paired with some If then else statements).

Greets, Ed.
Artisan S

Postby moscamara » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:54 pm

Thank you hunkatibor2.
Thank you Artisan S. Your advise is very helpful:D :D
moscamara

Return to Camera Calibration