Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

[Solved] Calibration Trouble

The place for questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the camera calibration.

[Solved] Calibration Trouble

Postby RichS » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:29 pm

The problem I have happens while attempting to calibrate, I have tried this with both a cardboard replacement as well as the glass calibration panels. I have moved the camera and projector at various different angles and distances. The problems I have run into is the camera will not pick up the markers on the panel with the projectors default pattern displayed. If I increase the exposure to the point that the projected pattern is almost not visible the camera is then able to pick up the makers however then projector does not cycle through the series of test images, and comes up with a different error. I had tried flipping the inputs as a test, and at that point the projector was displaying a solid white(my desktop wallpaper) so the camera was able to pick up the panel markers, also the test images did actually run through the cycle process, however because I changed the screen ID in the hardware set up the images were cycling on my monitor instead of the projector. If changed back then I simply run into either of the 2 issues I described before. This is my first time using a 3D Scanner any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Attachments
1-3.png
RichS

Re: Calibration Trouble

Postby MagWeb » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:12 am

You fixed the patterns on a single board? That doesn't work with current DAVID. Or on a rather flat corner ?

The calibration target has to be not planar.
Means you need a (best: rightangled) corner (convex or concave) and to fix one pattern at each plane.
See:
http://wiki.david-3d.com/david3_user_manual/camera_calibration
MagWeb

Postby RichS » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:35 am

for both the cardboard and glass I was using 2 panels and one of the brackets that hold the edges together in a 90 degree angle. just like in the pictures. I've run through the manual but I wasn't able to find where exactly I might have messed up or what could be causing the issue
RichS

Postby Sven » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:04 pm

Hi Rich,
I have just replied to your e-mail. Problem seems to be that the projection window does not work. DAVID does not project "plain white" for camera calibration, and does not cycle through the patterns.
I assume that changing the "Projector Brightness" does not work as well. It should change the projected brightness immediately.
Details please see my e-mails.
Sven

@MagWeb:
I think it's a special problem depending on the used hardware (graphics card? OS settings?) We have had this one time, a few months ago... I'll post here as soon as we have a solution.
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby MagWeb » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:05 am

Curious to see which software setting does such a perspective nonsense ...
Never I would have thought that the posted images came from a rightangled corner. Sorry
MagWeb

Postby Sven » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:35 am

Rich has told me by e-mail that they have solved the problem. Their computer has two graphics cards (onboard and NVIDIA), and they had connected the projector onboard. Connecting it to the dedicated NVIDIA card solved the problem.

But it is not always like this. Other systems with onboard+nividia do not show the problem...

Any ideas?

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby RichS » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:36 pm

Hi again

As Sven said our problem was the projector didn't cycle or adjust properly when it was plugged in via the on board gpu. Fortunately our monitors hook in via a HDMI to DVI cord and switching the cords fixed the issue. The projector was receiving at least some information because it would display the initial SLS calibration pane, but as to why it seemed otherwise non responsive I couldn't even guess since Sven pointed out this isn't a consistent problem for people with similar specs. Thanks everyone for the assistance.
RichS

Return to Camera Calibration