Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Scanning of calibration panel

The place for questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the camera calibration.

Re: Scanning of calibration panel

Postby argo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:03 pm

I was wondering why the result of mine is different from other webcam users.
Today i did a comparison between C525, Pro9000, C615 and C600.
Do you think this difference of results is because of the minimum processor speed? only c525 has got the bigger value and the rest of them are all same.

http://webcams.findthebest.com/compare/584-599-600-889/Logitech-HD-Webcam-C525-vs-Logitech-Webcam-Pro-9000-vs-Logitech-HD-Webcam-C615-vs-Logitech-C600
Attachments
Capture.PNG
argo

Postby MagWeb » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:42 pm

argo wrote:Gunter,

In your picture i think your camera is little bit out of focus. am i right?
Because i can have a little smoother scan when i focus away my camera.

I know about this trick to smooth the scan but it brings less sharp edges in the scanresult along. I didn't use it here at all. Both, projector and cam were focused just between the ring markers.

hunkatibor2 wrote:You have the MeshMixer, unfortunately I always hang of what version of what you use?

I use the latest version 2.0. Do your problems occur importing textured meshes from DAVID which might be a problem. Gonna look into that...

argo wrote:Do you think this difference of results is because of the minimum processor speed?

Don't know for I'm not sure about this value at a first view... Does it mean the cam's onboard processing unit or the needed processor speed of the PC?
MagWeb

Postby hunkatibor2 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:39 pm

Hi Gunter
You may not use the software in the same talk.? :roll:
Tibor
Attachments
meshmixer.jpg
Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHZ 16GB RAM Windows 7 64bit David 4.5.0
2 Basler A622F camera 2 Tamron Asfirical AF 28-80mm lense
LG DLP Projector PF1500G Canon D40 Tokina 17-70mm 1:2.8-4,5
Humanti Calibration panel system and Alignmed&Two camera
hunkatibor2

Postby argo » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:54 am

Hello Gunter,

MagWeb wrote:Does it mean the cam's onboard processing unit or the needed processor speed of the PC?

No idea !

I used different orientations, so is it normal to see these much difference between them.
by the way why when i choose the vertical orientation, i see the horizontal lines? and vertical lines for horizontal orientation?

2013-12-07_14-16-04.png
Horizontal Orientation

2013-12-07_14-16-21.png
Vertical Orientation

Regards,
argo

Postby argo » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:28 pm

I think i got the problem but dont know how to solve it.
If i set the orientation to both, i get the same result as if i set it to vertical.
which means the horizontal orientation does not count at all. :roll:
argo

Postby argo » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:48 pm

whoopee :)

Problem just solved by setting the resolution to 960*720 and only 30fps !!

Thank you so much Gunter for all the help.
I believe this topic and specially your words, could be a great reference for newbies like me.

Best Regard,
Attachments
2013-12-07_20-07-46.png
argo

Postby MagWeb » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:55 pm

Hey argo,

this is a awesome result! Be sure, I´m satisfied as you are! Congrats!

Could you do me a favour? Could you post some summarizng essay on the struggle to get things sorted?
Means (just to describe a field of experience):
What were the things you'd expect when you started with DAVID? Frustrations?
Could you describe things that didn`t work as exepted?
What were your attempts that didn´t improve your results?
Which information did you made to keep on trying out things?
Where do you see the final key to get perfect results?
--- Anything that seems to be important for your learning curve.....

For me, it is quite important to understand where possible newbie's preblems are. For me, I learned the way DAVID works along with its growing up. The current power is somehow logical for me. But to give support to someone entering quite now, raises several questions: What does this guy think. expect, try?

If this volunteers forum is able to give good support, developers save some time to give back nice features we all wish to have.
MagWeb

Postby MagWeb » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:21 am

Just a note to get a meaningfull "Both" orientation:

A setup with a cam above/below or left/right towards the projector does not give a meaningful profile for both projection orientations (horizontal and vertical).
To get a most meaningful setup to use "Both" orientations you should twist one element (either cam or projector) 45° around its central axis (central viewing/projecting axis).
MagWeb

Postby argo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:36 pm

Hi Gunter,
MagWeb wrote:this is a awesome result! Be sure, I´m satisfied as you are! Congrats!

Thank you :)

About the essay... mmmm ... as much as i am a practical guy but also love to write. in this case and in English it would be so difficult for me to describe what is inside of my head... but i will try it. and in advanced sorry for my bad English.

Before i get to start the David, i was reading the forum's posts and following the guys ( I guess about 6 months i was just reading and thinking).
And to be honest there were results of these 2 professional users (hal and stecma) whom made me keep following the forum and enthusiastic to participate.
Then came to responding and helping users part, and saw Walter and you and hal.. are just great and enough.
Some how i got this info from different users that no matter what kind of projector is used, the result would be good enough (not perfect and just good). so the only problem was the camera. by the way i owe a canon 60D but did not want to use it.. because i knew the result will be good and also i wanted to have a camera which always is connected to pc (labtop). so i said either i can manage to have a usb cam or i leave the 3d scan.

I knew i will have difficulties with setting up the system, but in reality it was much more difficult than i thought. why? because my system is unique (Logitech C525 and Benq pb6100) which means no one here have had experiences with these hardwares. so it was a challenge for me and also for David to see how dynamic it is.
By getting help from Walter's posts i could manage to modify my webcam. ( i never did a scan test with original webcam. which means i firstly knew that i must have a camera with a proper lens).
After i gathered all the hardwares. i simply put them together like the way some guys uploaded the setup pictures. and i thought that is it. and this is the scanner!! so let start... so happily i started to calibrate ( wowww first attempt and no error.. just got surprised and more happy!.. then removed the panel and put back the object and start to scan ...( what is it? it can not be true!! and took me about 2 hours to scan and scan and try different objects.. but no luck at all. all the scans were so wavy, so bad..) here came up my first post.
That was the time that i realized everything i read here are not belongs to me. but what to do and how to manage these hardwares?!!
So i started to test the different positions (cam and projector to each other) and came up that there is only one position which is perfect for my system (the cam above the projector). got much more better result but still far a way from having a good scan.
then this topic came up and it was you made me go. :)
so here we started testing different settings. (it was like a headache for me. what ever i was doing there was not any big difference for the results.) and the problem was because i was sure that my cam has best result in 800*600 res.. so i did not care about the other resolutions at all.
Yesterday i got so angry with the scanner. and just wanted to destroy it. (I am a programmer and i know the problems could be solved logically and not by force. so i did not know the reason of the problem and that made me mad!!) i dont know how but just by luck i chose 640*480 res.. and saw the results got more worse. so i started to try all the resolutions with every possible setting in david and different iris setting... got the right result.

But i believe it is just beginning. i have got a scanner that can make good scans.
I think we have 2 parts: one is knowing the scanner and second is dealing with objects. i past the first part and guess i know my scanner very well. and i am at the beginning of second part. which i think is not that much easy. (e.g today i wanted to scan a small toy (4cm shiny car) so i did apply the spray powder and got theperfect results for 360 degrees. but could not have perfect scan of it's wheels. so either i need to do a closer scans and make a the car into some sections and scan again, or i just simple scan one wheel and attach it to the previous scans in another softwares!). it is also so challenging.

I hope these lines help you. and if there is something left that i did not describe, please let me know.

Best Regards,
argo

Postby argo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:40 pm

MagWeb wrote:To get a most meaningful setup to use "Both" orientations you should twist one element (either cam or projector) 45° around its central axis (central viewing/projecting axis).

45 degree? really?!!
Come on.. i think i am ok for now :D
But thank you for this info.

Regards,
argo

Postby MagWeb » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:28 pm

Thanks for taking your time to write down your experiences. I'll try to keep them in mind.

Hm, I'm still trying to understand your break through:
Either (A) your cam simply couldn't get a set to fine frequency or (B) your cam changes its pixelclock depending on the output resolution (which may be possible due to onboard processing limits).
As far as I remember you said you've tried different frequency settings. Did you try also a lower than default frequency?
If yes, the result should have been better then (if A is right)...
I tend to assumption B...
MagWeb

Postby argo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:30 pm

Hard to say.
As i said before, i tried all the frequencies from 56-82 but there was not too much differences. i said the best one is 60. but maybe if you could test these hardwares, you would say no different between 56 and 60 and 70. ( I need to mention that all these frequencies have been checked with same camera resolution of 800*600 and the result were same. i will do it again with other camera resolutions to see if there is any changes and will update in here)
But my guess is B too.
argo

Postby MagWeb » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:41 pm

You got me a bit wrong:
I meant the frequencies settings in DAVIDs SL settings not the projector's .
MagWeb

Postby argo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:24 pm

MagWeb wrote:You got me a bit wrong:
I meant the frequencies settings in DAVIDs SL settings not the projector's .

You are right!
But we did not talk about the frequencies in David's setting here.(Or in better word you did not ask me for this!)
I am sure i did try by myself(i tried every possible setting in advanced setup but dont remember exact result of these frequencies).
Anyway i am going to test it all by tomorrow and will post the results here (All different settings).

Regards,
argo

Postby argo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:47 am

Hi Gunter,

Here are the result tests. what do you say?

for both resolutions :

Best projector frequencies=60
Best exposure time = 1/30
Best result with shifts=16
Best fps=15

here is the test for resolution of 800*600 with David frequencies of 6 and 5 (6 is almost same as 7)
Untitled-1.jpg

Here is the test for resolution of 960*720 with David frequencies 7 and 6
Untitled-2.jpg
Left ->7 // right ->6

Regards,
argo

PreviousNext

Return to Camera Calibration