Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

scanning, and texture at different resolutions?

The place for questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the camera calibration.

scanning, and texture at different resolutions?

Postby yohann » Wed May 08, 2013 5:24 pm

Hi,

it's possible to scan at a lower resolution and grab the texture at a higher resolution :?:

yohann
PC : I7, 16GO, windows 7x64
Camera : Canon 600d
Laser : David 15mW green
Motor Nema 11 planetary gearbox 100:1 and arduino
yohann

Re: scanning, and texture at different resolutions?

Postby WalterMo » Thu May 09, 2013 1:43 pm

Hello Yohann,

No, that's not possible.
What you can do is you can scan and grab the texture at the same high resolution (with the same camera).
Then you can reduce the mesh density in DAVID as low as you like. The (high) resolution of the texture will be the same.

Here I had done it to get a low size file to use it for Mesh To Flash:
viewtopic.php?p=21632#p21632

Walter
WalterMo

Postby yohann » Thu May 09, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi Walter,

My project would to use my canon in Full HD video to scan and take a 18Mpixels pictures to grab texture. Video and Pictures Shots are calibrated separately.
2 benefits for me. First a very good texture. Second the possibility to use a flash instead of contiuous light but when i did that, the texture is not align properly with the mesh.
Is it possible to resize the textures with photoshop ? If it's possible maybe I loose the quality of a 18MP shots but i can use flash. Continuous lightning is a problem when i work in darkness.

Thank you to anwer, :D
PC : I7, 16GO, windows 7x64
Camera : Canon 600d
Laser : David 15mW green
Motor Nema 11 planetary gearbox 100:1 and arduino
yohann

Postby WalterMo » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:08 am

Hi Yohann,
I am not 100% sure but your idea should work. But don't do two camera calibrations! Only one for video-scanning and grabbing the texture.
Before you start make sure that the camera sensor format is the same for both. I don't mean its pixel numbers. E.g. don't use 19:6 for video and 4:3 for grabbing the texture. And make sure that the camera „sees“ the very same image sections for both.

Then scan via video and grab a „worse“ texture with the same resolution as the video was made.
Then grab the texture with a high resolution. (18 MP seems to be very high, about 6 MP is also fine).
Then substitute the „worse“ texture PNG file by the high resolution one.

Walter
WalterMo

Return to Camera Calibration