Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

HP laptop camera calibration.

The place for questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the camera calibration.

HP laptop camera calibration.

Postby lenniad » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi guys.
Im trying to afford the laser scanner for a Computer Vision Project, at the university, but sadly i cant get the exact parts for DAVID Laserscanner, so, the settings i've made goes like this:

A HP laptop, I use the camera that comes embedded on the front of the screen. The resultion is better than the cheaps webcams that i can afford to buy, and works perfectly with ARSiGHS, for example.

But the problem is here is the calibration.

1. I cant see the screen directly. I've benn trying so see calibration patterns from a side, but its hard and, 'till now, the calibration has failed.

The illumination is bad, i know. I have in mind use a basic LAN-to connect the 2 computers, so i can see the screen of the laptop on my desk computer to control the calibration view, but...

¿Is possible scan with this embedded webcam?
¿Has the camera the WDM...or something like that...controller?

And the laser...well, cant buy a laser stripe, so im using this:

A motor with a laser pointer (5mW, 650nm i think...i will update if this is wrong, i donde have the laser right now). I read that the laser stripe should be the thiniest posible... The first is the calibration, then we will see if the laser can work.

Mi corner is very stable and exactly 90°. I used paper tape for hold the calibration patterns.
The calibration patterns gives me a 151mm scale, printing directly from the A4 Left and right size, ¿is this right?

well...this is almost for now. Thx in advance. :mrgreen:
lenniad

Re: HP laptop camera calibration.

Postby WalterMo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:10 pm

The reason that the camera calibration doesn't work is:
The arrangement of the (ring) dots which DAVID see via the notebook camera is wrong. It must look like here:
http://www.david-laserscanner.com/wiki/ ... alibration

A rotation of the corner by 180° doesn't work. The camera image must be mirrored, or you must glue the calibration patterns by another arrangement of the dots on the walls.
WalterMo

Postby lenniad » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:32 pm

The corner is at 90°. This is mi corner:

Is not at 180° but thanks for the response. I will try to glue it. O perhaps i understood u bad...english is not my first language. :D

Is posible scan with this setup, so i can made the motorized rotatory mechanism and the laser meshanism...

OH, I SEE WHAT U MEAN!

thank you, i will try it right now.
lenniad

Postby WalterMo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:40 pm

You corner is correctly built if you would work with an external camera. But the built-in notebook camera mirrors the image. Maybe the camera settings of your cam can be changed. Most of the external webcams have this feature.
WalterMo

Postby lenniad » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:46 pm

Im looking for the options now...
If not, ¿can i mirror the print-outs?
lenniad

Postby WalterMo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:05 pm

E.g. with the free software IrfanView you can upload from the DAVID printout folder the files Calibpoints_V3_A4_leftSide.png and that for the right side.

IrfanView has the possibility to 'Mirror horizontally' and vertically. Use the latter function for both files and print them.

PS. Please rotate your photos by 90° before posting, my neck already becomes stiff. :wink:
WalterMo

Postby lenniad » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:07 am

it worked out perfectly. Now i will begin with the scanning step.
lenniad

Return to Camera Calibration