Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Calibration Failed

The place for questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the camera calibration.

Calibration Failed

Postby jlt206 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi.

I've downloaded the latest version of the software, installed it and build the scanning box with V3 targets.

I've tested my webcam and verified that it can see the dots correctly.

However, no matter how I try, I can't see anything in the application although I can see it's using the webcam.

When I try to calibrate the camera it says "calibration failed".

Any ideas?
jlt206

Re: Calibration Failed

Postby Sven » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:20 pm

I don't quite understand... does DAVID show the live camera view?
Please look at the debug console (Advanced Settings -> Service) - what error message does it print?
Also please post a screen shot of the live camera image.
Thanks
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby transatlantic » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:05 pm

I am having the same problem (using v3 targets).The debug window lists the following:

- Extracting Ellipses...
__CamCalib::EllipseFitting::Process__Not enough ellipses.
__CamCalib::Interface::ExtractEllipses__Could not extract enough ellipses from image.

I have tried repositioning, adjusting lighting, contrast, brightness. I'm not sure what else to try. Any help would be appreciated!
transatlantic

Postby transatlantic » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:21 pm

Never mind. I figured it out. I guess that getting the grid lined up just right is a bit trickier that I thought. For anyone that is having this problem, play around with the position of your camera. I finally got it by moving the camera as close as I could while still having all of the dots showing and then rotating the grid until the corner was exactly parallel with my camera. It took quite a few tries, but I eventually got it.
transatlantic

Postby jlt206 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:18 am

I've got these;

- SSE2 Not enabled; processor does not support SSE2.

- No entry for Logitech_QuickCam_Communicate Found. Using 'default'.

- CamCamLib::ElipseFitting::Process_Not enough ellipses.
- CamCamLib::Interface::ExtractEllipses_Cold not extract ellipses from image.

Cold it be that the old Logitech QuickCam Communicate WebCam is not man enough for the job?

Thanks!
jlt206

Postby Sven » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:52 pm

Hello jlt206, transatlantic,

Please post screen shots of your live camera image. The camera calibration is very robust, it's not necessary to place anything "exactly parallel" etc.
It's only important to have a precise 90° corner with correctly attached calibration patterns (but problems here would give different error message on the console), and it's important that the cameras sees
- at least the 6 rings
- not more than the panels

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby jlt206 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:11 pm

Hi,

Well I could post the image but all you'll see is a black screen and I can't see any rings.

I have tried to adjust the settings but it makes no difference at all and it almost seems as if the settings are being over ridden.

I have the camera facing at 90 degrees and adjusted it outside of the david software in the Logitech tools for accuracy.

I can see the dots no problem.

I expected to see the exact same image in the david software in Live Mode. But don't.

Thanks!
jlt206

Postby jlt206 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Well, Just for fun, I thought I'd try again.

I moved the camera closer, and adjusted the angle a couple of times and hey presto it calibrated successfully.

I think the documentation should make it clear that you DON'T see a white background and the dots whilst trying to calibrate the camera and software.

I expected to see what the camera normally sees. I was wrong.

J
jlt206

Postby Sven » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:29 pm

J,
There must be something wrong in your setup... Of course you DO see the live camera image (with white panels and black markers) all the time when you do the calibration. Does your DAVID not show it?
With the "Fly To" buttons at the top you can choose what you see. Just "fly to live".
I Haven't heard of the "QuickCam Communicate" before... usually Logitech cameras work fine with DAVID.
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Return to Camera Calibration