Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Calibration using exterior surfaces (such as gaming dice)

The place for questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the camera calibration.

Calibration using exterior surfaces (such as gaming dice)

Postby Rick_Brade » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:31 pm

In my opinion, one of the only weaknesses of DAVID is the need to fabricate a calibration corner. It can be time consuming to construct a pair of surfaces with a precise 90 degree angle.

Would it be possible to modify the code to calibrate on the exterior surfaces of a box instead? One advantage would be that it is easy to find or make cube shaped objects with a precise 90 degree angle. The best example I can think of would be using the outside of gaming dice because they already have dots on the sides, are inexpensive, and easy to find. Maybe a bigger object would be better, but I'm open to hearing suggestions.

What do you think?
Attachments
dice.jpg
dice.jpg (2.17 KiB) Viewed 2740 times
Rick_Brade

Postby MagWeb » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:59 pm

Hi Rick,

it´s possible to calibrate DAVID on a convex outer corner using the normal calibpoints-pattern.

You only have to modify the calibpoints.dat file.
For first information read the discussion:

http://www.david-laserscanner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Gunter
MagWeb

Return to Camera Calibration