[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - Calibration required every time I use DAVID USB
Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Calibration required every time I use DAVID USB

The place for questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the camera calibration.

Calibration required every time I use DAVID USB

Postby marting » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:56 am

Hi to all,
I have recently upgraded my PC with the below mensioned specs and am very happy with the scan results that I am accieving, however am experiencing 1 problem that I have to calibrate the camera system (reference) every time I use DAVID USB. I have been having this problem ever since I upgraded to version 2.6.3. I have replaced all relevant setting files to make sure that they are not corrupted but to no avail. Has anyone ever had this problem or what could be the cause?
Also, is it possible to divert / switch from the USB vestion to the installable version using the same license so as to aviod running into this situation again?

PC Specs:
Processor - i7 quad core
RAM - 12GB
CPU speed - 3.4 GHz
Graphic cards - 2 x 2GB Gainward GTS 450 PCI-Express

DAVID setup:
Version - 2.6.3 USB
Motorised mechanism (rotating laser line)
Green adjustable laser line
Thanks
marting
marting

Re: Calibration required every time I use DAVID USB

Postby marting » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:03 pm

Hum!! From the amount of hits / response on this post, It seems that either I'm unfortunate that I'm the only one having this problem or else I'm that good that somehow I managed to mess up the setup with my eyes closed! :lol:
No seriously.... I've tried uninstalling the camera driver and reinstalling it again but still the same result. Now I'll have a go on another PC and see if this problem is resulting from the camera driver or DAVID USB. wish me luck. :roll:
marting
marting

Postby Sven » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi Martin,
Do you still have that problem?
If yes: When DAVID is closed, it saves all settings including calibration in the subfolder "Settings" (Edit: DAVID 3 only - see below). Please check if you have that folder and if the files in there are updated each time you close DAVID.
In general there may be write access problems with this, but usually not on a USB drive!
You can also try to delete/rename all files in "Settings", then start again.
Hope this helps.
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby marting » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi Sven, I have tried several times after your reply but no improvement. I have had a look at the folders on the USB (DAVID) but there are no folders named "Settings". So I have created a folder and copied all the relevant file in it but still did not work. I still have to calibrate every time I start DAVID before scanning which is getting a bit frustrating. Otherwise I have no problems at all and the scanning results are very good. I will try running it on windows XP and see if the problem is the windows version. Also is it possible to switch over from USB to the installable programm version?
Thanks
Marting
marting

Postby marting » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi again, I.ve tried running david on windows XP but the same results. I have now replaced the latest "advanced_settings" file with an older one ( as I always backup these files) and now is operating as before except that although the reference scan looks perfect and flat as it should, the repetition scans of the same calibration corner are resulting with waves as shown attached. I will try to see what differences have occurred in this file since my upgrade to 2.6.3, but I dougbt if I will manage to get anywhere this time as this is getting out of my league. :( ...... wish me luck.
Thanks
marting
Attachments
wavy_repetition_scan.pdf
(157.21 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
marting

Postby Sven » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:03 pm

Hi Martin,

Which camera are you using?

Sorry I thought you were using DAVID 3. In DAVID 2, there is no "Settings" folder, so please ignore my last message. In DAVID 2 the settings are stored in
- laser_motion.xml (The Reference Scan result)
- advanced_settings.xml (Advanced Settings, obviously)
- config.xml (all other settings, including camera calibration)

Please take a look if DAVID really writes a new config.xml file each time you close DAVID. The settings files' time stamps should change each time.

You can delete the files to reset DAVID completely.

When you start DAVID, the camera should already be connected. When you click "Next" to get to Calibration, that camera it should be selected automatically. Does it? Then the calibration should still be there.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby marting » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:52 am

Hello Sven,
The camera type is Widescreen HD 720p Webcam 3Mp ( http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=16530 ) and have been using it for the past 2 and a half years now. I will have to check this evening if the laser_motion and config files actually update, the advanced_settings file has been verified that is updates.

Before I start DAVID the camera is connected and is automatically selected after starting up DAVID. The calibration points remain intact and if at this point I switch on the laser line it shows (I do this to verify that the camera if genually connected), upto here no problems but if I try to scan without doing a reference scan before the result is as if the laser line has not been switched on.

Ohh....now it is occuring to me, actually it is not calibration that I require to do, as I originally described but I have to do a reference scan every time I start up DAVID..... Sorry for misleading :oops:
Thanks
Marting
marting

Postby marting » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:36 pm

Hi Sven, I have verified that all 3 mentioned files do update after closing DAVID. I have also tried to see if there are any settings that my have varied from last time it worked properly but cannot figure out what is wrong. Further more I am attaching pdfs results of reference scan showing greens all the way through to the end for the first 3 and the last is what is resulting after closing DAVID, opening it again and starting a repetition scan of the calibration corner.
Thanks
Marting
Attachments
David_results.pdf
(332.09 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
marting

Postby Sven » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:58 am

Hello Marting,
So if I get you right, your Repetition Scans work (with waves) directly after the Reference Scans? But not after you restart DAVID?
Please post or send me your 3 configuration files after making the Reference Scan and then closing DAVID.
Do the Repetition Scans also not work when you really place an object in the scene? Maybe the panels are only filtered away?
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby marting » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:38 am

Hi Sven,
Thanks for your support. Actually the wavy results show both after having done a reference scan and also after restarting DAVID, even if I place an object instead of the calibration corner. Attached are the files you requested. Also I have reverted back to version 2.6.1 but still getting the same results.
Thanks
Marting
Attachments
david_settings.zip
(155.64 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
marting

Postby marting » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:37 pm

Hello to all. Just for the sake of reference I am entering my tentatives in regard of getting DAVID back in proper working order. The following are the various things that I have tried:
A. Uninstalled webcam driver, reinstalled it and verified that it is working fine. Result - Scanns still resulted wavy - no improvement
B. Reset all "Advanced settings" to defalt. Result - It seems that DAVID is detecting the laser line but not showing in the scan result window during scanning, just a grey window.
C. I moved all configuration files to a separate folder so that DAVID creates brand new ones on exit and reconfigured the new files from ground up to ensure that there are no bugs. Result - the same as in B.
D. Re-routed all connecting wire away from any mains cables and supplies (just in case there may be mains interferance of some sort). Result - the same as in B.

I have now exaused all my options and hit rock bottom, unless I think of something else. Any suggestions what could be causing this are welcome.
Thanks
Marting
marting

Postby marting » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:45 pm

Hi to all, Further to the current problem that I am facing, I have just bought a Logitech QuickCam® Pro 9000 so as to be fully compiant with DAVID setup and again am going to repeat the same process as when I used the other webcam.....wish me luck.
Marting
marting

Postby Sven » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:28 am

Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby marting » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:54 am

Hello Sven,
Thanks
for your reply, no worries about the late answer, I've been busy myself on doing work on my CNC router. As I said previously, I bought a Logitech QuickCam® Pro 9000 and will start off from the begining to set DAVID. I have not gone into any particular detail and attention yet, but from the first try out (may 2 or 3 times trying to do a reference scan) it seems that DAVID is detecting the laser line but not showing in the scan result window during scanning, just a grey window. Some times at the very end of the reference scan some noise shows up, but still not sufficient to do repetitive scans.

I will have a look into the "BackgroundFilterFactor" and see if I can do anything from there.

Further more the laser movement is very slow, has a good repeatable and constant movement and the calibration corners are perfectly 90 degrees.

Regarding my setup the following are my specs:
Laser: Focusable green laser
Laser movement: motorised stepped down by gear approx 460:1
Laser motor controler : Arduino
Web cam: Logitech QuickCam® Pro 9000
System: Windows 7

I will keep you posted on any progress being made, hopefully by the end of this week.
Thanks
Marting
marting

Postby marting » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:02 pm

Hello Sven,
So some updates:
I have dedicated ample time to getthe sytem set from ground up and have managed to make some progress. After haveing set the webcam settings and advanced settings in DAVID, the laser line is visable and showing in the scanning window with very satisfactory results while doing the reference scan, i.e. indicators at the bottom of the scanning window all lit green from start to end of scan and at 30fps. Then the problem remained in the repetition scan resuling with waves, somewhere on the forum I read that this is normally fixed by changing the camera image format. After changing the format I did a reference scan and a repetion scan and seems to be solved. Furthermore I seem to some problems with the rotating mechanism due towear and tear, but I am now thinking of moving along to Structured Light Scanning. I suppose it should be easier and quicker.
Thanks for you kind support.
Marting
marting

Return to Camera Calibration