Large background in the works - oppinions?

The place for questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the camera calibration.

Large background in the works - oppinions?

Postby rich0550 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:51 pm

We are using a large 5 axis CNC gantry to cut this out of 3/4" Melamine. The pattern will be stickers that we will carefully position on a small drill and slide on to the boards. So this should be highly accurate. Also the whole thing has structural supports that fit together like a puzzle holding the entire bock perfectly in place, with .005" clearance so it fill fit together.

Being a novice at best at this, need to ask if this looks good for the best possible system to scan parts that are medium and even large, and use this as a calibration pattern for a plane less setup as well. The dimensions are 4 x 5 ' roughly.

Thanks images attached.

Would like to also note that it's just as easy for us to make 3 as it is 1, so if anyone would like to have this setup my friend that owns the machine shop is happy to make more. Name of his Company is Diversified manufacturing in San Marcos CA. Just post here of course I can give you more details if you are interested.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
rich0550

Re: Large background in the works - opinions?

Postby rich0550 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:03 pm

This is how it would assemble. only a few bolts need to be screwed in to hold it in place 3 along top 3 along sides and 4 or 6 in floor.

Note the model in the first post was update so that the red supports can be slipped in. After everything else has been assembled. Edit is not possilbe in that post or would correct it.
rich0550

Re: Large background in the works - oppinions?

Postby David Martin » Fri May 06, 2011 5:24 am

Well since no one experienced has critiqued your design I guess I will. I recently put together a 2' X 3' corner and found alot of things I would change. The change at the top of the list is material, I would not build it from wood again. I used 1/2" medium density fiber board, and although it was relatively flat, it just isn't flat enough in my opinion. I believe wood is alos more tempermental to temp and mositure than most other metal and ceramic materials. When I get around to building another, I plan to use glass, granite or blanchard ground aluminum. Each have their advantage and disadvantage. When I built mine, I knew wood wasn't ideal but didn't want to spend alot of $$$ and time designing a proper corner until I was convinced the software was worth it.

I go to school in san marcos at the junior college, cool to know others in so cal are using DAVID.
David Martin

Re: Large background in the works - oppinions?

Postby rich0550 » Mon May 30, 2011 4:26 pm

Thanks . Heh, San Marcos is where my friend's company is that will be making the background. I was thinking of Melamine for the walls and floor, maybe that will ok since it has plastic laminate on it. This background requirement is a real pain. I think he will cut it this week and then I can post up. Rich
rich0550

Return to Camera Calibration