[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - My First Scan Advise appreciated.
Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

My First Scan Advise appreciated.

The place for questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the camera calibration.

My First Scan Advise appreciated.

Postby rich0550 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:00 pm

I have allot of waves in the surface I did paint it with welders crack check, and had the camera bright way down ligths off
rich0550

Re: My First Scan Advise appreciated.

Postby laserchaos » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:43 pm

Wow, Rich! Cool results :D - do you have a picture of the mechanical setup u used for this parts? Seems like a big calibration corner - perhaps with window?
Did you position the calibration marks with hand an meter? Or did you print them?
The little waves could be a problem of scanning speed or gearing - which gearings do you use?
Great work!
thanks
laserchaos
laserchaos

Postby rich0550 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:20 pm

Uploaded with

thanks i just scanned it by hand with a a $50 non focusable laser, making one pass if could
the background was printed and taped on sides 90mm scale, pulled tight as I could be not glued.
sprayed with welders crack check , that chaulky stuff (wearing a mask), some paint has fallen off while handling it, it was whiter for the scans.
backgrond material is two hollow doors, clamped onto 90 degree brackets.

calibration: camera settings: 640x480, bright and exposure about 1/4, room completely black almost, auto calibration, i dont remembmer messing with focus, i held the laser mabye 1 meter back?, the camera was pretty close slightly less than a meter

I have a 1.8 degree stepper, with 100:1 gearbox, 3 degree at least slop in backlash, motor controller, aurduini board , but have put it all together yet, cant wait to do that however, also would like to build some type of stepper turntable not sure how that would be done with big parts. Just holding them in place would be quite a challenge ?

Am missing anything here in my calibration or do i just need to get a flatter pattern, better laser, motor controlled scan, and ccd camera?

I really need to tighten up these scans any advise very much appreciated thanks!
rich0550

Postby Victor.Lamoine » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:55 am

The powder is clearly not uniform on the surface (perhaps many paint has fall down?!), you should try to remove it and deposit a thin and uniform layer, also clean the surface before powdering it !

If you have another tripod use it to move the laser, it will be far better than hand held. Try to hand the laser at the focus distance, you will have a thiner line. Don't forget to focus your webcam on the laser line, not on something else

Good luck !
Victor.Lamoine

Postby rich0550 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:41 pm

great advise thank you.

this is the laser

3. Laser - $50 non-focusable, 6mw for now, I noticed the beam is a bit thick. Is this an issue? Here is the link to it. http://www.apinex.com/ret2/gmcw02lan.html. 5mw, 3v, 400ma, Divergence < 1.4 mrd

maybe i should upgrade it? How pronouced are the difference in the results using an expensive CCD camera as well?
rich0550

Return to Camera Calibration